Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: FRA Relays 2014

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    No... you have missed the point that I was making.

Would the 2nd team have kicked up a fuss if there were no medals for the 2nd team?
    Obviously not, because they wouldn't have known they were being excluded from the open category if the medal/prize/whatever wasn't being given to the team in 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    More importantly would they have declared that they would prefer to be remembered as the team that finished in 2nd place rather than the team that won the V40 category?
    I would have thought so, yes. Since it's a greater achievement. Anyone from the team care to confirm/deny this?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    What's Alty got to do with it Richard?
    Mind you, he is right!
    Just a leg-pull as Alan may have at least made sure his own club knew
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Obviously not, because they wouldn't have known they were being excluded from the open category if the medal/prize/whatever wasn't being given to the team in 4th.

I would have thought so, yes. Since it's a greater achievement. Anyone from the team care to confirm/deny this?

I can't speak for anyone else but myself.......... 2nd open is by far the better achievement in my mind (especially being over 40) The vet category is a bonus normally.

Just for the record, I have spoken to Paul and re-iterated what I wrote on the forum earlier, that quite a few people got carried away on Sunday with what happened, I apologised for shouting from the podium and explained why I was annoyed. (I'm not writing it again) I have offered to meet up with Frazer in Sedbergh (close to where we both live) and I will happily get him drunk. I have offered to help (if I can) with anything Paul or Frazer might need with future events they may run and will willingly take part (hopefully earning a prize)

The rules have been explained now and why I don't really agree with them, they are the rules.
    Darren Kay.
    Calder Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    One thing about Terry, at his 'Through The Villages' race years ago you had to stipulate on your entry form whether you wanted to count for the Men's team or the Vets team prizes, you couldn't count for both, he was years ahead of his time
    Yes, but as I pointed out, he told people after the event (Roller, Villages and the Viga 3) and there was no such option on either the online entry or the entry form itself.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I was once in an event where we managed to win outright with a vets team and the organisers gave us the choice of first prize or first vets prize - we asked for the first prize and asked them to make sure the engraving on the trophy clearly showed us as a vets team, which it did.This wasn't an FRA event but as we had come first we felt we deserved the first place prize.
    At the LDMT I once managed to win the the vets trial after it became the short course and other younger runners were also competing. The envelope I received my prize in said 'First V50' not 'First' but I understand the prizes were the same and the results still showed me as having won. I can see both sides of the argument here - I'd have been disappointed if I'd been regarded as being in a separate race but I was temporarily grumpy on an earlier occasion when I came second by a minute or so to some youth and I might have been tempted to wonder why he was in the 'vets' event even though it wasn't really just for vets anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bloke View Post
    What utter bo!!ocks. If fell running has got itself into a position that it cannot right an obvious wrong, due to being hamstrung because 'it's not their event' then I give up.

I'm only a crap back-marker, never been any different, but I have been a member since about 1992, I think. I'd been toying with the idea of not renewing 'cos I didn't like how things were going but this just about seals it for me.

I'll still run on the hills when I'm able but I can't take this sort of rubbish any longer.

t.
    Don't forget Tony, the vast majority of the membership voted in favour of affiliation to UKA so we are only reaping what we have sowed.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Great news folks, British Fell Relay Leg 1 video up on https://www.youtube.com/user/ChannelRun Leg 2 & 4 to follow, enjoy, thanks to Will Neill's Channel Run

reminds me of what a great day out it was.

Apologies to all concerned.
    I have just gone back through all my posts on this thread and deleted them (apart from the pic of the event commentator).
    The medal situation was absolutely nothing to do with me, I was just reacting badly to earlier posts about what had happened at the prize giving, I wasn't even there to see the awards.
    I think this picture sums up the day nicely…

Camaraderie at the Relays

Camaraderie by Andy Holden, on Flickr[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew Claw Lassalle View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else but myself.......... 2nd open is by far the better achievement in my mind (especially being over 40) The vet category is a bonus normally.
    Word on the fell is that at least two members (I'm guessing more) would prefer the 2nd overall position rather than the 1st vets.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter