Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fred whitton,white rose clasic

Re: fred whitton,white rose cl

Ive decided not to do the Fred as I didnt really get the training miles in that I needed to, and with not completing London Marathon Ive continued with high mileage run weeks ready for Windermere Mar' (on 20th May).

Gave my ride away to a mate down in London who didnt get in when it opened. He's managed to get name change with the organisers and is hoping to finish in the fastest dozen or so (certainly a lot quicker than I would have)

I'll still probably be around on my bike next weekend though - nowt like joining in after 25 miles to a) give oneself a bit of a lie-in, and, b) get me over Hardknott without walking.

Anywhere around 8 hours would be nice, not been gettin in the miles i would have liked as training partner has droped out (working long hours), scared of getting beaten by a runner more like it.

I'm camping night before nr coniston thinking of getting on the road for about 8 ish.

Have a good ride fish
    your shoes get so hot you wish your dam feet were fire proof

The foothills of the Lake District (English)

Quote Originally Posted by cobbydale View Post
    Anywhere around 8 hours would be nice, not been gettin in the miles i would have liked as training partner has droped out (working long hours), scared of getting beaten by a runner more like it.

I'm camping night before nr coniston thinking of getting on the road for about 8 ish.

Have a good ride fish
    Will be doing the whitton myself (as of today). My mate has backed out due to the lack of miles (like i've been doing loads!!) so I thought It would be a shame to waste the entry!! Think i'm going to set off at 7, putting some slicks on the mountain bike and probably flippers on my feet. There's a few mates camping at Coniston Hall so probably end up camping there myself and head into Coniston for a swift bluebird. Look out for a yellow/grey tent and a silver renault estate if you fancy a beer.
    Hoping that the cowbell might make an appearance, although in the hands of it's rightful owner (I'm more of a cowbell custodian)
    Based on your expected time you'll probably pass me somewhere between Hardknott and the finish (Going pace myself for a 9-10hrs. Can't remember last time i did 100miles so don't want to risk popping). Have a good un

good luck all forumites (esp hotdog and cobby) - on the fred whitton tomorrow, I wont be able to come to support but will be thinking of you! you will have to let the cowbell hang from a tree in crinkley beck maybe, please let us know how it went!

ps - cobby you may recognise hotdog - he was the 'cyclist wins it' from our ilkley moor / dick hudsons wednesday night race the other week!
    Last edited by Daleside; 12-05-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    good luck all forumites (esp hotdog and cobby) - on the fred whitton tomorrow, I wont be able to come to support but will be thinking of you! you will have to let the cowbell hang from a tree in crinkley beck maybe, please let us know how it went!

ps - cobby you may recognise hotdog - he was the 'cyclist wins it' from our ilkley moor / dick hudsons wednesday night race the other week!
    Thanks DS, It's a real shame you can't make it. Could return the bell to it's roots. There will be be loads of herdwick's around the course so might see if they fancy a spot of campanology. or would that be campagnology since it's a bike race...doh! falling into bike geekdom again! Lovely up here in the Lakes(ish) today hope it lasts!!!

Hey how did you fellas get on today? What a fantastic day out. Seemed to have a tail wind for 100miles and virtually no rain. Surprised myself with a time of 7:38 although the suspension & disk brakes certainly made the descents more pleasant and a bit quicker. Hope you had a good day. Just got to find the savlon now...A little chaffed shall we say

Well done hotdog, was a great day finished in 8:54. Was flying on my way to buttermere and thought the i was riding well enough for a sub 8 but having never gone passed the 50 mile mark before (flat 50, well even yorkshire seems flat after yesterday) the back ache came followed by a bike that would not go into granny. The second half started to drag and then a flat after wrynose made it completely clear i would not be doing this one again i'm sticking to running up hills , Got up 95% of hardknott without walking and wrynose too, not many people cycling at that point and some folk got off at the phone box at the bottom of hardknott. Now the pain has eased i've changed my mind and i'll be back next year for that sub 8.
    your shoes get so hot you wish your dam feet were fire proof

I quite enjoyed it. The weather held off which helped. I too was having back pain so I ditched my Camebak at Whinlatter and took a couple of pain killers. I was talking to Billy Bland on the way round and he said if you get to Calder Bridge inside 5 hours you stand a chance of getting to the finish inside 7 (elite certificate time). Well, before the event I never thought I'd be anywhere near that but I was going well and still riding within myself by the time I got to 'Fangs' and the next section over Cold Fell always seems to give me a boost so I had a go. Got to Calder Bridge in about 5 hours and 8 minutes and thought 'Well, there's nowt to lose' so I carried on pasting it. Eased off a bit before Hard Knott just to save my legs enough to clear it and Wrynose (the headwind along that valley was a killer!). Made a mistake in not eating again there as I was bonking on the run in to Coniston. Got 7:07:36, which I'm quite pleased with, and was absolutely wrecked for about an hour after! The leader came home in 5:45!!!! Nearly 20 mph average!

Any results up anywhere?
    Did Billy get under 7hrs?
    I heard that a 60 (or maybe 65) year old did 6-30 one year so that was Billy's target. (He's 60 this year).