Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Sprain Recovery?

After seeing my physio, good news, nothing torn or snapped, after some treatment and mobility, diagnosed a very bad sprain, so something I can work on. Time for rehab and strength training once its ready. Have had to pull out of two races end of June and beginning of July (trying to be sensible) but hoping to be fit for Snowdon International.
    Arnica doing its job well, and start on Rus Tox tomorrow. Injuries are a pain!!

Well finally managed to get a MRI scan on the ankle and the results were Slight Talus Bone Bruising, Low grade sinus tarsi syndrome and slight achilles tendonitis all ligaments were intact.
    Offered 2 options operation with 6 months out or steroid injection in the ankle and 2 weeks out. After not running since mid March and just cross training in the gym doing classes like TRX, Spinning and Abs etc i took the injection option. Felt like expanding foam being injected into the ankle, but so far the pain has gone.

He recommended 2 weeks of no training then gradually start running on the road or parks and gradual usage of the wobble board. then hopefully a return to the fells before the light go out for the year. Also the good news it appears no long term damage.

Made me realised how fit you get fell running compared to gym classes/walking and road running plus i miss the buzz of throwing myself down a mountain. Maybe to late for the Ben, but not to late for the Tour of Pendle?

Master
    On Saturday whilst running the Bingley Show race, at 4 miles I felt a sudden tightening in my left foot anterior ankle ligaments and within a second or so a sharp pain and what felt like a ripping sensation. Being a 'stupid' runner I carried on in some discomfort to the end, but throughout felt I could only apply minimum pressure to the left ankle and slowed significantly. Driving home changing gear was agony, but a day of rest and ice and it has improved. Except it occasionally clicks which causes some sudden pain again. The ankle feels weak, but unlike at other times when I have sprained an ankle I did not go over on it? I have a physio apt on Wed and fear I have torn the ligament, but is it possible to do that just running and without going over on it?

Master
    Hi Simon
    Any previous history of ankle problems?
    Any swelling/bruising now?
    Does it look any different from the other side when you try to lift your foot up? Is that big tendon at the front of the ankle visible when you try to do this?
    Which movements particularly hurt, and if it is tender to touch, where?

Mike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Hi Simon
    Does it look any different from the other side when you try to lift your foot up? Is that big tendon at the front of the ankle visible when you try to do this?

Mike.
    Hi Mike the outside of the ankle is slightly swollen,(no bruising) but not as much as when I have previously sprained my ankles, just a general swelling. There is little pain in walking on it but if I press/rub the bone where it protrudes at the bottom of the Tibia it is a little sore, but not outrageous. main issue it seems to click occasionally when I walk and at the point of click it hurts a bit more!!There seem to be two tendons that are at the front of the ankle that bifurcate at the joint of ankle and foot and seems the same on both sides. Flexing the foot does cause it to crack in the outside ankle joint and this causes a short lived pain. The main tenderness is on the outside and slightly to the rear of the prominent ankle protrusion.

Regards

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Hi Simon

Mike.
    Hi Mike the outside of the ankle is slightly swollen,(no bruising) but not as much as when I have previously sprained my ankles, just a general swelling. There is little pain in walking on it but if I press/rub the bone where it protrudes at the bottom of the Tibia it is a little sore, but not outrageous. main issue it seems to click occasionally when I walk and at the point of click it hurts a bit more!!There seem to be two tendons that are at the front of the ankle that bifurcate at the joint of ankle and foot and seems the same on both sides. Flexing the foot does cause it to crack in the outside ankle joint and this causes a short lived pain. The main tenderness is on the outside and slightly to the rear of the prominent ankle protrusion.

Regards

Simon

Master
    And also I cant balance on the injured leg?

Master
    It is not clear to me what has happened - but take it easy until you have a diagnosis - good luck with that physio - unlike Michael Gove I hope you can get an x-ray if you need one - but then he went to a minor injuries unit on a Sunday, possibly a private one!

This may help: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...ain/ankle-pain

I wouldnt go off sound too much.

I was running off a peak in the white mountains last weekend and had spent hours on super technical terrain, then typically within 1 mile off the road on a fairly tame path went over on my ankle. There were 3 or 4 snaps as it rolled right over and I felt sick.

It egged up but has been pretty much fine. I did 100 miles in the week after, I iced and then just slowly worked it again.

I think the sound was like a crunched knuckle, ligaments and tendons snapping around bone, I don't think anything actually tore though and although I felt more unstable for a few days it's 90% recovered within a week.

At the time I was absolutely convinced I'd done serious damage.

Master
    So I did my ankle back on May 9th, it was pretty nasty. I started running again and it's generally fine when I run, but the day after it's painful at the back of my ankle bone on the instep (if you get that), especially when I flex my foot up. What is this? Anybody got experience of it? Cheers
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before