Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Sprain Recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by mattp View Post
    I think in my case the wearing of a support and slight subconcious adaptation to my running style has brought chronic injury problems over time. My advice (which I probably would have ignored myself 2 years ago) would be to really invest time in rehabilitating your strength, proprioception and muscle recruitment before you go near the fells again.support or not. I think they also restrict your natural ankle movement to a degree.
    Sorry to hear about youre injury problems, but thanks for the advice. Its so easy just to hurry back from injury and start again where you left off as quick as possible (my big mistake in the past) but now I'm getting on a bit I'd like to think I'm older and wiser and willing to take on peoples advice a lot more these days. Whats pissed me off more than anything is I turned 50 last month and had loads of plans for numerous races and adventures coming up over this year, lots that I'd never done before, but now it looks like those plans have gone tits up for the next few months. Hopefully live 'n learn.

Hi just rolled mine after marshalling on the Stan Bradshaw round then set off to run in mid walking boots to the next marshall point near the finish took a tumble and knew I'd hurt myself but I was a few miles to go so walked for a bit then started to jog. I paid the price later that night. No bruising but tried Spinning Wed eve and now feel slightly sore again. I have decided to scrap my 3 peaks entry, but need to feel confident that I can walk Northumberland Costal Path in 2 weeks over 3 days. Never sprain the ankle in 12 years of fell running, but I'm sure I need to be convinced to marshal again. How long before I can go back to at least Gym classes? I plan to lay off the fells and Badminton till April

Each ankle sprain is different, some a lot worse than others so its hard to pinpoint exactly when you can start training again. If there is no bruising I would say its only a mild sprain, probably a few weeks rest, but i'm no expert. Its been a month for me now with no running whatsoever, but plenty of stretching exercises, also been doing a lot of cycling, hoping to get back running in a couple of weeks, starting off nice'n easy on the treadmill.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Each ankle sprain is different, some a lot worse than others so its hard to pinpoint exactly when you can start training again. If there is no bruising I would say its only a mild sprain, probably a few weeks rest, but i'm no expert. Its been a month for me now with no running whatsoever, but plenty of stretching exercises, also been doing a lot of cycling, hoping to get back running in a couple of weeks, starting off nice'n easy on the treadmill.
    Cheers for that been to sport injury after not feeling like it had improved and had some ultrasound and he's added a strapping support also told me soak the ankle in Epsom Salts doing to 2 jobs at once cleaning up the feet and soothing the muscles etc. recommended the treadmill for a couple of weeks and okay to do Spinning but no standing whilst Spinning also no badminton or fells for a couple of weeks and when resting keep elevated.

Lesson learnt no running in mid walking boots

Once the swelling has gone down down and stopped hurting you can start retraining it. Single leg balance work to start off with. You can then try balancing on the recovering leg standing on a pillow. Then gradually progress to a wobble cushion down the line. All that will gradually improve propriocetion and in fact in the long run you can have better balance than before the injury.

I hurt mine couple year ago but just as a type of training now I do loads of balance work on a wobble cushion in both legs. Makes a massive difference.

My ankle is getting better/stronger gradually. Can now run on it with no pain, although it does feel a little stiff at first but soon warms up. Still got slightly restricted movement compared to the other ankle, but hopefully still keep up the stretching to overcome this. It doesn't feel tender to touch at all but there is still slight swelling around the damaged lateral ligament, but no pain.
    Ran mainly on the road or treadmill, but ventured offroad a few times this week, just taking it steady but so far so good. Think I might have to strap it up for my first fell race though.
    Last edited by Fozzy42; 02-04-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting over anterior ankle impingement. I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago and now the swelling has all gone apart a tiny bit in the hollow just in front of my ankle. It is still tight when I flex my ankle fully up or down but all the other ankle pain is gone and I can lean over on my ankle and put weight on it OK.

I've not run since it happened (waiting until I'm completely back to normal + 1 week) but am walking a lot for work.

Go and see someone (osteopath is my preference) to get it properly checked. It may be ankle impingement but you want to be sure it's not a syndesmosis sprain because you need to be careful with those.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Went over on mine today, heard a snap 😒
    Went up like a golf ball, so went to A+E, xray showed no breaks (phew), but they wouldnt do an MRI, consultant stating it may be a torn or snapped ligament, so off to my sports physio tomorrow. Gutted as Im due to do the Snowdon Twilight and Snowdon International.
    Going to look at one of those ankle supports, but feel like crap now, just as I was starting to do well again and get into a routine

If you heard a snap it may be worth getting another xray. See what sports physio says first, but I have known one xray miss a break in the foot
    best wishes for rehab and coming back stronger