Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raid 3's

Was going to head up. The virus, antibiotics, steroids and wife have put than plan on hold. Have fun!

I'll be travelling up early doors from Northants. if you're not too far from route and need a lift.

good OMM training!

wait, hang on...

I'll be there.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

splendid event today out over Shelf Moor - well organised, and a good time seemed to be had by all!
    I was a bit too conservative - being very careful to not go over time, I really should've tried a bit harder and bagged at least one more control (but I guess we can all say that on these things)
    still fairly happy with 245pts though
    John4of5 beat me by a few
    and ba-ba... well I'll let him say...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Enjoyed today. Good decisions to be made - I went for a route with 3 potential 'miss' controls in case I needed them - only missed out 1 (#7). Rich's winning route was full commitment from the off, as if you hit a bad patch on the big climb from 9->8&7 you could easily go over time, or miss 55 points which is too big!
    Excellent map by Dave as well, well suited to this kind of escapade - cuts out all the crap you don't need on an OS, but adds in a bit of extra useful rock detail a Harvey's doesn't give you. Although if you're not used to this style of mapping you may think otherwise!
    Always forget how E of Bleaklow head is actually fairly nice to run over, and nice of the clag to come in enough to make it a bit of a navigational challenge.
    Died a bit in the last 45min when I remembered I'd done XC yesterday. Would take a very good day from me/bad day from Rich for me to beat him, especially when nav is involved.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 16-11-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Master
    Excellent event with plenty of choices. Not sure I picked an optimal route but finished with 270 pts and 3 minutes to spare so couldn't have done any better without a different plan.
    Enjoyed it so much we've entered the remaining two events as well

Results:
    http://www.explorerevents.co.uk/wp-c...2_overall.html
    I saw Rich heading into the Howardtown Brewery carpark as he started...

Really enjoyed it today, definitely got the optimal route for me, and pleased with the nav. Could do with being able to run a bit faster though.
    Agree with ba-ba re the map. I know this area reasonably well but it was of little use as it took my slow brain far too long to register the key points of interest.
    Great event, and will hopefully make it to the next one.
    Do what you like, like what you do

so anyway... Torside Castle: Proof of the existence of Aliens?
    1) Man-made? nothing on t'internet, and stupid place to build anything so big for any reason.
    2) Natural feature? take a look at it and tell me what you think...
    3) Aliens. only possible explanantion.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

It didn't quite go as planned for me as I took a bit of a heavy fall and dislocated my right shoulder. Massive thanks to the two ladies who saw me safely off the hill and to the RAID team who took such good care of me. I hope to return for Leg 3 at Totley but it will be a very cautious outing for me and even slower than usual :-)
    Charmian Heaton