Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Raid 3's

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Crowden! I wasn't expecting that

PS
    Hope you are well on the mend and up for it Moulinclimber
    What a difference a day makes - D&W 4 hour in the clag yesterday and sunshine for the Peak RAID 3 today. I was just too ambitious for my heather bashing abilities and finished on Nil Points but at least I avoided A and E today. Great to see Tindersticks losing his MM virginity in fine form and thanks to the team for another well organised event.

Beautiful day out today, with a fair few familiar faces
    I joined Charmian on the Nilly Step after an appalling navigational error cost me about a mile/15mins
    even then, my route only amounted to 12 miles, which I would normally be able to bring home in 3 hours, but I had reckoned without the oceans of knee-deep heather slowing progress at various stages
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

The day didn't start off as planned, I couldn't find the race registration for what was to be my first navigational event....typical. I stopped and asked a local out walking his dog, excuse me could you please direct me to Penny Lane. His reply I kid you not....Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes...then he walked off singing away. I was taken aback but found it very funny and joined in the singsong.
    Typically for a fellrunner I noticed a car with the Fra car sticker and followed it, just like being in a race following the guy in front and the venue came into view.
    For the race you basically set off any time between 8.45 and 9.30. This is when I thought.... blimey this is going to be interesting. My nav skills are average at best and during races, like plenty of runners my nav head goes AWOL. I entered this event to be 'thrown in at the deep end'. The fact that all points would be lost if running overtime also made it more appealing.
    When everyone started running in all directions from the off my first thoughts were...oh shit what am I doing here. Right, calm down look at the map you've just been handed and enjoy the experience.
    And that's what I did, worked out roughly the route I was happy with and proceeded ticking off the controls. Throughout the morning runners were scattered about everywhere but you just get on with your own thing whilst keeping a close look at your time.
    Managed to get back with 2 minutes left and really enjoyed the experience, I will definitely be doing more of these events, many thanks to all the organisers and helpers.
    Great to see Charmian,Daz and Karen.....what a cracking way to spend a Sunday morning.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.