Thread: north western fells

north western fells

has anyone ever done wainwrights north western fells in one go. The LDWA website has a route which places it at around 44 miles and 18000ft. It's something that is in the back of my mind but just wondering whether anyone has done it - how long did it take, any particular route difficulties etc. Any information given is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    has anyone ever done wainwrights north western fells in one go. The LDWA website has a route which places it at around 44 miles and 18000ft. It's something that is in the back of my mind but just wondering whether anyone has done it - how long did it take, any particular route difficulties etc. Any information given is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Yep, I've done this (and the other books as well). Did it with a mate who'd innocently driven up intending to 'go for a walk' ... To his credit, my suggestion 'how do you fancy ...' was not rejected out of hand! 44 miles is about right. Took us about 15 hours. We dropped one car at Grange then drove round to park under Sale Fell, working north to south. It's a grand day out. Sorry I don't have a great deal more detail to offer, as it was a bit back! One matter for your conscience on Whinlatter is whether to go to Wainwright's summit (517m), or the true summit (525m), or both. Wainwright argues at length in favour of 525, but goes with the maps of the time for his top. We skipped 517m.

The Western is worth a look too, since it forms quite a natural 'greater Ennerdale' circuit of about 18 hours. The Southern is a pig - it was pretty much a solo BG, with all the out-and-back.

I did it back in September 1983 when there was an event organised on the route with a few roadside check points. I have it as 46 miles and it took just under 15 hours. There were 13 finishers from 39 starters. I don't recall any particular navigation problems even in the dark when I went up Casle Crag for the first time. The northern fells is another that can be done in one go.

Thanks for that. That's helpful stuff. I am thinking of doing it this weekend - I'll see how I go - 15 hours is probably pushing it a bit for me at the moment. thanks for the info.

Super Moderator
    This thread might interest you Bobster. There's another specific one too if I can find it
    Poacher turned game-keeper