Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Very hard stuff today. Thought it turned out slightly warmer than last year, but the running conditions were atrocious.

5hrs26 which while almost half hour slower than last year, given the conditions and the extra checkpoints, I was extremely happy with. The guys at the finish reckoned people were averaging nearly an hour slower, and around 20 people had already dropped out.

Believe I was 55th. If that turns out correct, then I would have been top 50 but for cramping up on the Pennines Way back in the valley.

Bleaklow was a dreadful trudge in today's conditions, and the final descent off Kinder was tough. Last year that descent was flat out in the better conditions, but this year every step into slush or thigh-deep snow.

Got to give credit to Ba-Ba, not just for winning, but starting off in t-shirt and shorts... What a mentalist...!!

Can't say enough thanks to the mountain rescue who manned the checkpoints... At least we were moving, they were stuck there all day.

Great start to the running year...

Pete

Great photos! Gets the trainers clean anyway

Well done Ba Ba again.

It was Nat in 2nd who was in t-shirt and shorts until snake where he put a jacket on. He out manpointed me as I started in full warm lycra and winter jacket. But he was wrapped in tinfoil at the end.
    I was 17 mins slower than last year, but lost at least 5mins at the wreck and a few minutes on Bleaklow.
    Ideal conditions (and field) for me today.

Thanks to all the runners..and marshals and the Woodhead angels who made and served in the hall afterwards.

We have a debrief tonight so any constructive comments are always welcome.

We had a number of very cold runners at the end quite a few at the sharp end who went with Minimum kit, I worried for some of the later runners but as they were properly kitted out they were tired but fine.

The use of Ultra LW water proofs will be discussed tonight 2 of the coldest runners were in the Lightest jackets on the market, clearly they are not up to the job of a 5 hour winter race despite.

I'm trying to think of rules that could be used...

"If your waterproof looks too light, you'll be asked to carry another one at the marshal's discretion."

As far as super-lightweight waterproofs go I think sometimes only experience makes you shell out on a good one - for me Skyline 2015 in a lightweight WP (still was warm but aware a trip and I had nothing else to put on) saw me shell out for a Gore-tex 'winter' jobbie.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Trigger Album 2 - enjoy I know they are repetitive but ... much better if you press the slideshow toggle on Flickr.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mossie...57677508846831

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Thanks to all the runners..and marshals and the Woodhead angels who made and served in the hall afterwards.

We have a debrief tonight so any constructive comments are always welcome.

We had a number of very cold runners at the end quite a few at the sharp end who went with Minimum kit, I worried for some of the later runners but as they were properly kitted out they were tired but fine.

The use of Ultra LW water proofs will be discussed tonight 2 of the coldest runners were in the Lightest jackets on the market, clearly they are not up to the job of a 5 hour winter race despite.
    That's a valid point and a difficult one to sort out. Sometimes you just have to hope that experienced fell runners will know what is required by the conditions they face. Sunday was blooming freezing! It would be hard to enforce what type of jacket as long as it has taped seams they could argue that they are conforming to the rules. On the other hand we all need to take responsibility for ourselves and wonder is a few grams really worth it. When cold we use more energy to keep warm so will run out of speed pretty quickly.

Instead of trying to rewrite the waterproof jacket and trousers rule how about ADDING 'full sleeve base layer and full leg base layer (could be compression socks and three quarter leggings) must be worn not carried". We all love our sport and no one wants to see a participant taken off to hospital or worse due to inadequate kit.

Those that put these races on have a hard enough job so a few helpful suggestions would be more than welcome. I hope you get a few constructive comments Ian. Well done on a great race.

We saw the photos and thought "Blooming heck!" We usually come along to watch and cheer everyone on near to Snake Pass but after seeing the weather forecast we stayed local. I went for a run on the Tissington Trail in my winter jacket lol! Nothing would of been warm enough for me up with you guys :-)