Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm with RTS on this one. It's not just the waterproof on the outside that matters, you need enough layers of good clothing inside; although trying to enforce base layers may be a step too far for kit-checkers!

I have been wearing Helly Hansen long-sleeved top and leggings on most of my runs in the recent cold weather, on hills that are nowhere above 250m. But then, I do tend to be rather conservative in my choice of clothing (I once wore a woollen sweater in a fell race!); and I would rather be uncomfortably hot on the initial climb than having to faff around putting extra clothing on when I reach the exposed moorland.

I'm nowhere near the elite, so not really in a position to comment, but does carrying an extra layer really slow you down that much that you need to take the risk...?

Carrying an extra layer or two certainly doesn't slow me down enough to warrant taking the risk.

For the record, after suffering last year, I wore an additional base layer, better gloves, and had my vest outside everything, so no messing about with zips at the checkpoints this year. Apart from as Anthony mentions above, being rather hot on the initial run to the Isle Of Skye road, I was much more comfortable generally.

Although I do remember being so knackered at one point whilst somewhere between Upper Booth and Edale, being absolutely out-smarted by a gate for about 30 seconds, too wrecked to work out how to get through it. I guess the fatigue just creeps up on you.

Best race yet for me, taking it steady from the off saw me right and finished well. Always a tough race and yesterday was no exception, especially the river crossings making you cold and cramping up legs.

With regards to kit - I was wearing a smelly jelly under an event jacket and hat, gloves and gore tex mittens all the way round. I also had a spare HH warm base layer, spare gloves and a buff in my bag as well as my waterproof trousers. I'm glad I had the gear with me and doubt on a race this long carrying it will make much difference on performance - it's all about the training you've done previously.

It's great having the extra gear, it's having the sense to realise you need to stop and put it on. At Wasdale in the summer I had to stop and put on pretty much all the gear I'd wear in a winter run - also read Nicky's account of that race.

Well done everyone and looking forward to next year

IMO there are some conditions where shorts and (hairy) legs are better than full lycra which retains water and perpetuates coldness.

I wore all the kit to start but know it keeps me warm. I was a bit too warm on the first track but from Skye road onwards was fine - not too hot or cold despite my hands taking an early dunking (with both under and overgloves).
    Having a survival bag made me confident enough to not carry another base layer - on long (summer weather) races I'd rather carry a survival bag than a pair of overtrousers.
    I do sometimes wonder about carrying a spare baselayer when I start off in one, but I now have enough confidence in my GoreTex jacket that it will keep the layer I'm already wearing dry (save a bit of sweat) and warm.

Wearing a vest over your waterproof jacket makes it easier to show your number, but if its a breathable jacket it surely negates this property in the covered area, leading to less wicking and damper undergarments.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'm trying to think of rules that could be used...

"If your waterproof looks too light, you'll be asked to carry another one at the marshal's discretion."
    FRA rules are sufficient...I know its controversial but a RO could ask for a waterproof suitable for the conditions and I'm sorry but I think the ultra LW stuff just isn't for a winter race where you are out for 5-6 hours in bad conditions. luckily I'm not the RO....;p

What jacket were you wearing Nick as I'm in the market for a new one

Haglofs gram comp. Got it cheap couple years back end of line. Still thick end of £150 mind but does the trick in winter.

Yes like the look of them, always pricey but they seem to be worth the money. I believe they're paclite / active shell, which always seems to last alot longer than other things.

Anyone else in for Sunday?

Conditions look like they could be interesting again.