Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Half way up Lawrence Edge. PM Ian Darkpeak for a grid reference.
    There isn't a route choice away from that? Roughly, what time would you expect the first runner to be there? Thanks for the info Rodders.

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefells View Post
    Just after Crowden, where is the best place to take photos because EVERYBODY will take that particular route?
    well nearly EVERYONE.
    Try at the top of the fence corner as you get crowden and the reservoirs in the back ground. It's where I was last year.

my album from last year from that point...young Mr Mann in the shot below

https://www.facebook.com/OutdoorNavi...type=3&theater

I'm sure you will do it more justice Steve

There are three main route choices, if you want to photo as many as possible it would be better to head up to SK 07299 99634. On the path down from the quarry before the runners hit Crowden. If you were there for 60- 70 mins after the start you should catch most folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    There are three main route choices, if you want to photo as many as possible it would be better to head up to SK 07299 99634. On the path down from the quarry before the runners hit Crowden. If you were there for 60- 70 mins after the start you should catch most folk.
    Problem might be parking at Crowden.

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefells View Post
    There isn't a route choice away from that? Roughly, what time would you expect the first runner to be there? Thanks for the info Rodders.
    The average winning time for the last 3 years has been 3 hours 15ish which is 10 minute mileing if that any use to you. I took a few snaps last year at Leyzing clough / Winter Clough and they were still quite bunched up. https://www.flickr.com/photos/980116...7639683507565/

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    The average winning time for the last 3 years has been 3 hours 15ish which is 10 minute mileing if that any use to you. I took a few snaps last year at Leyzing clough / Winter Clough and they were still quite bunched up. https://www.flickr.com/photos/980116...7639683507565/
    Thanks Mark. I was going to go to the trig point at Black Hill but border collie needs a good walk in the morning and I'm not sure that I'd get there in time with such an early set off.

So, going to try and get a quick look at PW down from Kinder and weigh up Crowden Tower, but with the weather as it is, and looking, may just stay on the path and avoid the Bog Monsters (there was one chasing me at Grin n Bear It this year...might still be hunting me)...There was talk of an extra CP at Kinder Low area, is this likely? I would like to think that we would all respect the wishes of the National Trust and stay off the Kinder Gates (one years' inconvenience for the sake of the future of the race - not a big ask), but a CP would ensure it, whilst still giving Fell option across to Grindslow...
    Shaved my dreads off...now just 'Jeff'...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Jeff View Post
    whilst still giving Fell option across to Grindslow...
    Somebody mentioned in an earlier post that he was going to email nicky to find it this was possible (avoiding the wool packs) but nothing has ever appeared either here or on the race website. I just don't know if this is allowed or we have to head directly south from kinder low end to join the edge path and then either follow that the whole way to Crowden Tower or head down to the bottom of Jacob's Ladder.

Can we do a straight line from Kinder Low end to the BOTTOM of Jacob's ladder?

Can somebody clarify this?
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 06-01-2015 at 11:53 AM.

As I understand it unless there is a hard frost - and I imagine it would have to be incredibly hard, that there will be a check-point on Kinder Low so that there is no benefit in not using the path.

After that runners are expected to use the Pennine Way to either turn left along the skyline path to get to Crowden Tower or head to the top of Jacob's ladder. There is no mention of any restrictions about short-cuts round the woolpacks - I believe the work was done here a year or so ago.

I am assuming that the Kinder Low checkpoint will be mandatory and that we will all have to run as far as the main junction between Pennine Way and the Skyline path at Swines Back.