Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: The Trigger

I remember watching one Edale fell race from the top of Grindslow Knoll, the leader took the path around to the left rather than going over the top. A definite advantage but may not have affected the result as he was a long way ahead if I recall correctly.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    The perils of sharing Strava routes.

... And other people witnessing you come across the OOB area.
    It seems pretty petty, I know. It absolutely doesn't matter when it all comes down to it- but I believe GDH have had issues with access with the same landowner, so issues with one lot of people from one race ends up impacting another race in the same area that has naff all to do with the first race apart from being tarred with the same brush.

If you're going to have out of bounds areas, then everyone should stick to them. If you're not going to enforce an OOB area in some way, then don't have them.

Ro has looked at it with other experienced officials and they agree that he didn't gain an advantage or deliberately try to. Just wandered probably off his bearing. when he hits the dike There is a path straight up to the PW which would have been 5/10 minutes quicker easily(my old Tankies race line!), instead he heads NE to correct himself....

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    ... And other people witnessing you come across the OOB area.
    It seems pretty petty, I know. It absolutely doesn't matter when it all comes down to it- but I believe GDH have had issues with access with the same landowner, so issues with one lot of people from one race ends up impacting another race in the same area that has naff all to do with the first race apart from being tarred with the same brush.

If you're going to have out of bounds areas, then everyone should stick to them. If you're not going to enforce an OOB area in some way, then don't have them.
    He didn't infringe on the area that the land owner denied access to all, What I was impressed with was being allowed over Kinder plateau as this has been restricted for years..does this mean the HPM could return.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The winner has just put his route

He was in second place at Higher Shelf Stones but in first place by Snake Summit

An obvious advantage gained.
    I think I know why he gained an advantage. Joe left shelf Moor and ran North and then east and then north east. He actually crossed the PW Before doubling back.
    He did the same on kinder. He actually ran around 3 km further than Neil Northrop of Dark Peak?

No Ian. *he* might not have, but there are others who *definitely* infringed on the specifically out of bounds area marked on the pre race map

If that is different to the area the land owner has forbidden access to then that's a bit odd.

if there are and there's evidence please send to RO and they will be dealt with Im sure.

As everyone hurriedly checks their routes on Strava.

I have done, With accompanying screenshots.
    along with text that runs something along the lines of this:

"Most people went East., as requested(screenshot 1). Some went kind of east and attempted to corrwct themselves (screenshot2) and a few seem to have just gone straight through the Out of bounds area with nary a care in the world or even an attempt at going anywhere near what could charitiably be called "east"(screnshot 3).
    Am I being pedantic, or is this genuinely a case of racers being off the line and in out of bounds territory? Or am I massively over-reacting to people disregarding rules and race direction?"

I'll say it again:
    If you're going to have rules about out of bounds areas and are being absolutely explicit about them in the race literature, surely they should *mean* something rather than just shrugging and letting everyone off?

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post

I'll say it again:
    If you're going to have rules about out of bounds areas and are being absolutely explicit about them in the race literature, surely they should *mean* something rather than just shrugging and letting everyone off?
    I totally agree.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog