Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    I did an Aquathlon at Salford Quays last Thursday! I found it better in the wetsuit, but the cold water stiffened my foot rigt up so my run was not so good. I was 4th in it though. Thinking of what race to enter next?
    Trouble is the races are filling up fast as the season progresses. If you have a look at www.tritalk.co.uk or the BTA website, they have listings that should point in the right direction.

I've decided to go with Wakefield on 8th July. A costly £65 to enter but the course should suit me. My foot is a bit sore these last couple of days so hopefully that won't hold me back :-(

Prince Bishops Triathlon is in Northumberland/County Durham, plenty of entries available.

Olympic distance and £32 to enter. Race is in July.

TriTalk threads say it is one of the most picturesque races in the country.

Anyone do Cockermouth sprint triathlon last weekend? Awesome little event. Only 150 folk did it and in beautiful warm weather. Same thing again in September.
    Why walk when you can run.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    ahh bude , such lovely tranquil waters
    Well the waters weren't too bad, acksherly.

Although we did have to start in the river at the entrance to the bay, which tasted a bit yuk. I never thought that the sea would taste better than something.

500m in the sea was surpisingly fun. I'd wondered whether not having the little rest at the end of each length would be an issue, but it helped get me into a nice rhythm (swim-breathe-choke-splutter-swim-breathe-choke-splutter). Running up the beach afterwards, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of seaside-donkey assistance though...

I get more and more keen on the bike-racing angle of it. Shooting(ish) round Bude town center made me think of all those Kellogs crits they used to have on telly in the 80s.

Oh, and the run and had a buggery hill in it, which made me feel at home. Especially after I'd overdone it on the bike...

Blimey! Not long now. 5 weeks to go and it's creeping up. It's always seemed so far away but now it's not, and I've not put a toe in the pool since the first week of May. It's geting too late to worry.

It looks full; they've got 45 on the reserve list already! Looks like a lot of fell runners have entered this year, so hopefully we'll show a lot of these triathletes how it's done.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    I am........... form went off today!!
    So who's still doing this then? Thought I might go and have a bike out from Keswick / Ambleside or some such to shout abuse / encouragement....
    Last edited by dominion; 27-08-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    So who's still doing this then? Thought I might go and have a bike out from Keswick / Ambleside or some such to shout abuse / encouragement....
    Last year there was great support at the top of Kirkstone Pass - I'm sure the proximity to the pub helped - could be a good spot - plus you could test yourself up 'The Struggle'

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Yes, still going. I cycled from Kendal up the Struggle yesterday to remind myself what it was like. I'd forgotten that the bottom section was so steep, but the top wasn't as bad as I remember. My time was favourable to the timetrial they did on the recce weekend too. I've had my first lake swim now, which was so much more enjoyable than doing lengths in the pool.

So come along and shout some abusive words of encouragement, It'll be most welcome.

Don't be fooled by the time trials. I would have thought that I would have been at the back of the pack but I was comfortably in the top half (there was plenty of quality at the top end however). The good news is that although Ullswater was unbelievably cold I would say the course is about 100 to 150m less than 1,500m so there should be some good times to be had (although Marc did say he was going to have a word with the organisers as he needs to gain as much time on the swim on Ben Bardsley as he can).

Quote Originally Posted by bvb View Post
    Don't be fooled by the time trials. I would have thought that I would have been at the back of the pack but I was comfortably in the top half (there was plenty of quality at the top end however). The good news is that although Ullswater was unbelievably cold I would say the course is about 100 to 150m less than 1,500m so there should be some good times to be had (although Marc did say he was going to have a word with the organisers as he needs to gain as much time on the swim on Ben Bardsley as he can).
    I heard that the recce weekend was really worthwhile; someone I spoke to who is a seasoned triathlete learnt a lot from it. I'm glad to hear about the swim length, as I have the swimming ability of a mountain goat. I'd love a fell runner to win, and Ben must be in with a good chance. He's looking even stronger this year. I saw him disappear in the distance at the Anniversary Waltz. There could by half a dozen fell runners in the top 20 if we play our cards right. Only 10 days to go, so I hope you have a good race.