Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    Are you sure we don't have to turn right and go around the summit cairn?

Good point re emptying the bottles before the struggle. Want to be as light as possible!
    The map on the website shows us turning right at the top of Swirrel, rather than go to the cairn.

http://www.trihard.co.uk/helrun.jpg

You can always grab a pint at the Krkstone Inn if you are parched by the top. Just don't spill it on the way down.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

all good advice, thanks - got a clearer idea about my nutrition strategy now (I think) - regarding pacing, I'm a slow swimmer anyway so no danger there. Hopefully wont get too carried away on the bike, but intend to hold back in any case as the struggle is already scaring the crap out of me!
    'Too much sitting is ruining my body'

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post
    drink plenty as soon as you can on the bike
    Fair point, though I'm expecting to be fairly well hydrated after the swim. I just can't seem to help it....

Make sure you empty your water bottles in Ambleside - you don't want to be carrying any extra weight up The Struggle
    I think I may leave enough for a swig at the top (I'll be trying to get enough energy drink down me to avoid cramp. Some training may have helped as well).

if you down half a bottle it should get you to the top of Helvellyn
    I have an assignation arranged on Helvellyn with a blonde called Angela, to get whatever fluids HHH leaves behind.....

Quote Originally Posted by bvb
    At the top of Swirral Edge turn right - you don't have to go all the way to the summit.
    Well sod it then, I'm not bothering with the whole thing now...

Wowee, what a day! Before I come down from my endorphin, energy gel and mint cake-fuelled buzz here's my take on today's race.

Lets start with the swim. The start wasn't as bad as I had feared though, with all the fast boys heading off out the way, leaving us doggy-paddlers to fend for ourselves. That's about the only stroke I didn't do today, with breast stroke taking over when the crawl got too tiring, and even a bit of life-saving backstroke when I had to really give over and rest a bit. The first transition went smoothly, probably because most of the field had kindly left already, and I loved the bike, especially down the A66 and down Dunmail Raise. You may have noticed that the downhill bits were good; then there was the Struggle. I first noticed the cramp in my quads start about half way up, and at the top, both legs just locked straight! I couldn't bend them at all so I had to lean on the wall and try and extracate my feet from the clips which must have looked hilarious to the hundreds of spectators. I eventually got going again, the descent being fun as I didn't have to pedal. Getting off my bike at the end my legs went again and I elegantly keeled over just as a gaggle of bikers arrived so they had to drag my bike out the way whilst I waved my cramped legs in the air like a stranded turtle. Then onto the run, which was going to be the section that I wasn't worried about; a quick 8 miles up Helvellyn, just the sort of thing I do every week. Just not with cramped legs though. I was ok on the flat bits as I didn't need my quads, but Helvellyn isn't that flat. By the downhill I was going semi-properly again, past the marshall in his deckchair to make sure we didn't cut the zig-zags, and onto the finish where thankfully I didn't have to sprint to keep my finishing place. I didn't dare sit down in case I cramped up again. So it took me 4 hours 30 in the end, and despite the pain it was a fun day out. I might not have paced it perfectly, but I finished despite that. I have great respect for everyone who competed today, it was a tough event. Will I do another one? It's too early to say. The mint cake is wearing off so I'll leave it there. Ask me again tomorrow.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

how did everyone else do OXO etc etc
    Track rules

Had the same experience as HHH - swim was unbelievably aggressive especially around the buoys, cramped up at the top of the Struggle after a crap bike generally and run was OK. Came in just under my target at 4:58 so pleased overall.

I think the winner was Alastair Brownlee, 2nd was Marc Laithwaite and 3rd was Jonathan Brownlee.

Master and MR

how did you get on mud
    cmon

1. Alistair Brownlee
    2. Marc laithwaite
    3. Ben Bardsley

6. Jonothan Brownlee (I think was unofficial as he is under 18)
    7. Morgan Donalley (sorry my speling is atroshious)

9. Andy Norman

Somewhere else in the mix of elite included Simon Stainer (Ambleside AC) who got a flat tyre so would have done even better without a 5-10 enforced break.
    Last edited by theNoor; 10-09-2007 at 04:15 PM.
    Why walk when you can run.

What an awesome day, better than last year when I did it on a mountain bike and snapped my chain on the Kirkstone climb...

This time all went well. I had a 'safe' swim mostly on the left hand side of the field although I do now have a black eye from a smack in the face mid-swim.
    Always an adrenaline rush as you come out the water. Bike went well although something in the foot/pedal kept creaking and annoying me. Ben Bardsley flew past on the bike up Matterdale, obviously making up for his swim.

Lost loads of places coming down Dunmail Raise, but was intrigued by the 'no drafting rule'; It's a bit tricky when twelve cyclists are bunched together coming out of a junction.

Was out the saddle going up Kirkstone much more than on my training rides, but managed to give a massive kick going up the struggle and got a massive cheer from he crowd - felt like a king of the mountains!

The run was awesome fun, ran probably 70-80% of the way up. No feeling of being sick or needing a cr*p like last year (BTW, I put that down to no more food after Grasmere, and no drink after the top of Kirkstone; giving my stomach time to digest and 'clear out').

Thought I was in top 50 at Red Tarn, to be told "you're 25th!" was awesome news. Overtook another half dozen or so, but by then we were well strung out. Again, massive cheer coming into Glenridding and chuffed to finish 17th (I think) in 3:58min.

Roll on 2008!
    Why walk when you can run.

Good work Noor,

Starting to show your undoubted potential as a triathlete after last year's 'chain-snapping' debacle!

Well done.

MH

Once you've done a few triathlons you'll realise the 'non-drafting' rule is taken more seriously by some than by others...I remember having plenty of company at the Helvellyn, although The Struggle sorts 'em out