Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Anyone? Anyone?

Time to bump this back to the top!

Only 6 more sleeps till this little beauty's upon us.

Went for a run up Squirrel Edge today in beautiful sunshine.

Had a swim in Ullswater yesterday in the rain. It was cold but not as cold as last year.

Been around the bike course a few times in the last few months.

I feel sorry for those in waves 2 and 3 on Sunday - not knowing who to chase down.

Tres excited about this event.
    Why walk when you can run.

And the view from near the back... but not as near as usual…

.. was a bloody good day out.

Last minute complications meant I had to go up on the day, so got out of bed at 4.15 and made sure there was no panic in transition to get sorted.

Was disappointed to have another race abbreviated by the weather (after Wensleydale), but I am glad the organisers have to make those decisions and not me. It only takes one catastrophe for them to have to face the wrath of litigation and a threat to the future of the race... although I accept the argument about personal responsibility as well.

Standing in the lake, the cloud base look pretty low and thick, but really, visibility was never a problem. Swim was a bit choppy and I had a few gobfulls of Ullswater, but crawled more of it than expected and at least I wasn't doing backstroke like on e fella I came across. Maybe he needed to compose himself after a shock?

The bike felt pretty good. I hit 50mph down Dunmail Raise and felt pretty good throughout it all. Ok, so I walked a good bit of the climb up Kirkstone, but in the process, walked past a few who were still riding. The road was closed to traffic on the way up and this made a huge difference. It's a shame it couldn't be closed to traffic on the way down... I'd probably have hit 70mph!!

I had none of the cramps that plagued me last year and put this down to Nuun tablets... worth every penny.

Out on the run, the walk up the first 'staircase' section was a challenge, just because my legs were screaming out at me and I was getting the fatigue based difficulty in co-ordinating smoothly... I felt knackered (maybe the lack of sleep contributed). Turned just at the level of Red Tarn; trotted along for a while and started the descent. The visibility had closed in a bit, but there were always people to follow. The problem was my specs were continually fogged up... a bloody nuisance as any spec-wearer will tell you. So, they went into my pocket and I did my best. I'm hardly Mr. Magoo, but it inevitably slows you a bit when you don't have the same confidence in what you can see. I had no incidents, but can't help but think it slowed me down. I passed a few on the descent (which is unlike me) but not as many as passed me (usual form).

Towards the end, on the tarmac, I could hear heavy footfalls gaining on me. My usual response is, "That's it... another place gone", but I pushed a bit... just a bit. He stopped gaining, but was still there. Kept looking back, but there were loads of folk milling around the road, so didn't catch sight of whoever it was... Turned into the car park road and pushed as hard as I could (which hurt), and whoever he was, was no longer in sight. Crossed the line, and he was about 15-20 seconds back... a tiny acheivement for an old bopper, but it gave me a buzz

A damned good day, and even though at 4.15 I really didn't want to get up, it was well worth it.

I did 4.49, which pleases me no end... it may seem unforgivably pedestrian to some, it'll do me nicely.

Thanks to all those that made it happen. It's a great race and the organisers must have worked hard at it and had some tough calls to make.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Great report Lantern!

(still doesn't make me want to do a tri though )

Daz, when I did Wensleydale, Mr & Mrs Crumbly came along as Gerry was doing the run of a relay team. At the edge of the lake, Derek could hardly contain his chuckles at the prospect of me getting in the water... was a tad.. er.... choppy. Needless to say, neither of the Crumblies will be getting wetsuits on in the near future!

Your loss I say!

Are you doing Windgather or the Roaches? Maybe see you there.

Simon Cartledge

undercover moderator

Anyone playing out on Sunday?

Not done a tri for a while, but this brings back memories. Wish I was there now.... It's one of my favourite races of any variety. Enjoy it....I'll be at work...Doh!

Simon Cartledge

undercover moderator

REALLY liked that. Made sure I took long enough to make the moment last as well...

What a cracking race that was! One of my best triathlon experiences will be doing it again. Seemed kind of surreal seeing all these triathletes going up into the mist on Swirral edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkel View Post
    What a cracking race that was! One of my best triathlon experiences will be doing it again. Seemed kind of surreal seeing all these triathletes going up into the mist on Swirral edge.
    Hi Bill, I was up on Helvellyn yesterday and have to agree. I stood by the checkpoint on the summit for a while and watched you all slogging upwards and onwards, it was odd to see triathletes in those circumstances - particularly in the swirling mist! I will defo give it a go next year, in the meantime - well done, bloody good effort!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners