Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Just put my money where my mouth is.

Now, anyone got any arm bands?
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Awesome!

Folks, the Helly tri was one of the highlights of last season ( I must get out more!). Definately up for it again; just bought a road bike, ditched the mountain tank-bike after our marital breakdown on Kirkstone.... I know I started near the back on the run, but I was really anal and put all the figures into Excel, and I overtook something like 140 runners.... I also worked out I was around 10th last OFF the bike!

HH - You must give it a go. Swimming is such a small part of it, don't worry, although you do need to be able to swim! I'm happy to try in Rydal Water/ Grasmere for some open water practice. You've got runners legs so that wont help, but will come into their own on the run!

Fellhell - I think entries were full around mid-August last year, but yeah just pay entry and decide later.

MH - Prices are ridiculous! £70 for London Tri, £50 for Blackpool Tri. I am keen to try the Wensleydale Tri in August; similar to the Helvellyn I think, although longer swim and shorter, easier bike ride. There are also two shorter Tri events from Cockermouth. I think in May and September. the May one would be ideal to get a feel for the sport.

MUD - It is easier in a wetsuit. You DO need open water practice, not many sessions but it is a VERY different feeling, being in a wetsuit, not being able to see where you are going (this is something I hadn't thought of and makes life very difficult) and generally 'getting a feel for it'. It's NOT hard, but is necessary. The water was 14 degrees in Ullswater in September.

So, to summarise, I am very keen. You might have noticed.
    (Note to self: aaaaaand breathe!)
    Last edited by theNoor; 15-01-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: None of your business.
    Why walk when you can run.

Hmmm, looks like fun. Wonder if any of the "What Bike" wimps are up for this?

I'd be up for it, but Toff, you should know better...early Sept is a hellish time to commit to anything because of domestic overlay conflict type scenarios.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor
    Awesome!

Folks, the Helly tri was one of the highlights of last season ( I must get out more!). Definately up for it again; just bought a road bike, ditched the mountain tank-bike after our marital breakdown on Kirkstone.... I know I started near the back on the run, but I was really anal and put all the figures into Excel, and I overtook something like 140 runners.... I also worked out I was around 10th last OFF the bike!

HH - You must give it a go. Swimming is such a small part of it, don't worry, although you do need to be able to swim! I'm happy to try in Rydal Water/ Grasmere for some open water practice. You've got runners legs so that wont help, but will come into their own on the run!

So, to summarise, I am very keen. You might have noticed.
    (Note to self: aaaaaand breathe!)
    I was chatting to a pal who did it last year and he thought a practice might be a good idea too. Cockermouth might be the one. The guy who organises the Wensleydale tri has been at the Winter League races this year. He's also a tri coach www.mytricoach.co.uk which might be useful.

We'll have to get the bikes out when it gets warmer and you can show me round the course. I need to see if my gearing is right to get up the struggle.

Roll on September...
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by millipede
    Not that I am planning to do any triathlons........

but why do triathletes have special handle bars instead of the normal cycling ones?
    They are filled with helium, to give extra buoyancy for the swimming section.

This is particularly relevant for Ullswater, which is Very Deep, and where if your bike sinks it will get licked by eels and other Dark Underwatery Things.

Presume you are talking about Aero bars AKA Tribars as they originated in Triathlon. In the early 1990's they were sanctioned for use in Cycling Time Trials too (when riders set off at intervals and are timed over the course on their own) but they are not allowed in Road Races (mass start bunch riding winner is the first over the line).

Basically the position you achieve when resting on them (elbows on pads above the handlebar, forearms outstretched and hands holding the ends of the Tribars) is much more streamlined and aerodynamic than the old fashioned position which was generally known as 'on the drops'. And because of this you will go faster and produce better results in time trials.

You tend to see triathletes using them obviously for races but also quite often when training too. This is often because Triathletes dont have a cycling background and may only have owned bikes with tribars attatched.

You can also get a handlebar setup that has integral Tribars rather than having to fix them onto a standard road bike handlebar.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mud
    They are filled with helium, to give extra buoyancy for the swimming section.

This is particularly relevant for Ullswater, which is Very Deep, and where if your bike sinks it will get licked by eels and other Dark Underwatery Things.
    Quote Originally Posted by millipede
    Thanks.
    Not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Not that I am planning to do any triathlons........
    I am........... form went off today!!

New to the forum, but had to add to this thread. What a race this was last year. I can't praise the organisers enough for staging a spectacular race, well run and only £38. In triathlon terms, an absolute bargain!

If you can swim, ride a bike up hills, and run a bit, it's awesome... even at the back, the support was great (helped by perfect conditions) and the views numbed the pain 'til the end, when you were encouraged to jump in the lake to unwind. Of the ten tri's I've done, it was by far the most memorable, so if you fancy a challenge, this should fit the bill. Yes I am up for it again this year... just hope the weather is as good.