Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Lass View Post
    I've entered but don't have a wetsuit and not keen to splash out (pardon the pun) a couple of hundred quid when i don't know if I'll like Tri.

Any ideas on where I can get a cheap one or hire one?
    I got one from TriUK in 2005 and did the mail order thing. £25 for the year's hire and another £100 if you decide to keep it. The fit was good despite being a bit tight at first, but not regretted keeping it for a minute. A damned fine deal all in all.

Got to be worth a look.

My goodness I've got some work to do before September. I did the Kendal Tri last week (it's taken me this long to recover from the swim!) There were 43 men, women, vets and children taking part and I came out of the pool in 38th place. The poor 10 year old lad doing the lap counting in my lane was sat with his head in his hands. (Why did I get the slow lane Dad?) The little brat also took literally the instruction to hit us on the head with a float with 2 laps to go - he fair belted me. Anyway, I took twice as long as the fastest swimmers. I gained some self esteem back on the bike and run but I ain't no fish. I just hope the use of a wetsuit transforms me into one, but somehow I doubt it.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

undercover moderator

Ah, you should have done today's Exe Valley sprint tri.

Longer bike ride than Kendal, but only a 400m swim. Hurrah!

I'm a bit knackered though, and it pissed down so much on the bike/run bits that I ended up wetter than in the pool section....

Oh what fun!

Did 1500m in the pool (only a 20m pool mind you, and I did use a pullbuoy to save the legs - i figure it's the equivalent buoyancy to a wetsuit)

Followed by 40km on the bike.

Followed by 10km run (on a treadmill, as I'm still nursing a swollen ankle, five bl**dy weeks on).

Took 2hr 50min.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Lass View Post
    I've entered but don't have a wetsuit and not keen to splash out (pardon the pun) a couple of hundred quid when i don't know if I'll like Tri.

Any ideas on where I can get a cheap one or hire one?
    Tri UK currently have ex rental suits to buy at £50. I bought one today. A lot of the Manchester Tri club guys have bought them and recieved suits in great condition. Just give them a call and tell them your height, weight, and chest size and they will send you the right size. My foot is till too sore to enter Helvellyn but I am looking at the entries count hoping it will be better before entries fill up.

I have done two tri's now. Harlech and Wilmslow which was yesterday. I have said my third will be a lake swim. If only my foot just got better overnight! Well... we'll see. I've just got back from a swim session. 3.2k in the pool. I'm goosed now. Managed to limp 25 minute run also :-(
    Last edited by Oxo Cube; 14-05-2007 at 11:56 PM.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    My foot is till too sore to enter Helvellyn but I am looking at the entries count hoping it will be better before entries fill up.
    I think you can enter now and pull out before August with minimal penalty.

First sea-swim tonight, bloody cold on the face (wetsuit and wee dealt with most of the rest). Plus a 4 mile run along the prom, by the end of which I'd regained feeling in most of my toes....

I'm off to swim in the wetsuit at the weekend. It's all very kinky.

Managed to swim the whole tri distance today without drowning, which is just as well with 2½ weeks to go...
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    First sea-swim tonight, bloody cold on the face (wetsuit and wee dealt with most of the rest). Plus a 4 mile run along the prom, by the end of which I'd regained feeling in most of my toes....
    You can tell whose got a hire wetsuit then

Wetsuit socks is what you need. That way the pee doesn't get wasted falling out your legs, keeping your toes warm.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor
    Oh what fun!

Did 1500m in the pool (only a 20m pool mind you, and I did use a pullbuoy to save the legs - i figure it's the equivalent buoyancy to a wetsuit)

Followed by 40km on the bike.

Followed by 10km run (on a treadmill, as I'm still nursing a swollen ankle, five bl**dy weeks on).

Took 2hr 50min.
    Glad to see you are getting fit again. At least you can't twist your ankle whilst swimming.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I think you can enter now and pull out before August with minimal penalty.

Ok i'm in. Just entered. If my foot is no better i'll withdraw in August. Yesterdays training 25minute run and 1hr30 on the bike. Today 30 minute run and 3k in the pool. My wetsuit should arrive tomorrow so open water swim training tommorrow maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    My wetsuit should arrive tomorrow so open water swim training tommorrow maybe.
    In that big reser across the other side of the motorway from you? You must be more simple than I imagined!!!!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome