Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post
    Ok i'm in. Just entered. If my foot is no better i'll withdraw in August. Yesterdays training 25minute run and 1hr30 on the bike. Today 30 minute run and 3k in the pool. My wetsuit should arrive tomorrow so open water swim training tommorrow maybe.
    Excellent! One more forumite entered. I sent my money off when I was crook with my back and it was great motivation to get fit again. Not the athletic challenge mind you, but the thought of losing my entry fee!

Still haven't ventured into anything wet in the wetsuit yet. Must get someone with a boat so they can fish me out, and give it a go.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell View Post
    I'm off to swim in the wetsuit at the weekend. It's all very kinky.

Managed to swim the whole tri distance today without drowning, which is just as well with 2½ weeks to go...
    Which one are you doing? What distance is it?

I've just put in for the Prince Bishop's Olympic distance in July, based in/around Derwent Reservoir in County Durham/Northumberland. Can't wait!
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Which one are you doing? What distance is it?

I've just put in for the Prince Bishop's Olympic distance in July, based in/around Derwent Reservoir in County Durham/Northumberland. Can't wait!
    Blenheim Palace! Only a sprint, I think that's all I could manage in terms of swimming...aiming for an Olympic next year though.
    Maybe I could do that one, let me know if its any good
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Managed a 36 minute run tonight and a 35 mile cycle in 1hr50 over to hayfield and back. After a few pints tonight I feel a bit shagged.

I'm thinking of entering Ellesmere Tri as part of preperation for Helvellyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxo Cube View Post

I'm thinking of entering Ellesmere Tri as part of preperation for Helvellyn.
    I found it handy having a practice, as I realised that the transitions aren't a big deal as long as you are organised. However I now realise that the Helvellyn tri will be somethng new as I've never competed for that length of time. One thing I'm really interest in sussing out is what people te or drank on the Helvellyn in previous years. I find it hard to get the balance sometimes. I need something to keep me going, but then get stitch if I eat or drink anything.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

I've done a couple of sprint tri's now and did'nt find the transitions too bad. I think i'm just going to take a bottle of SIS 'Go' Electrolyte drink with me on the bike. No food as such.

undercover moderator

I've done a swim-run thing and a tri now, and transition seems fine (although getting the post-bike breathing right was difficult.

The only problem I had at the tri was that it was seriously pissing down, and my well organised box of transition stuff had an inch of water in it.

As to nutrition, I seem to be able to eat more on the bike than running, so therefore probably will.

I'm also coming round to the ides of tri-bars, possibly just because I like buying shiny things.

Tri-bars would not be needed on the Helvellyn Tri (unless you're seriously quick!).

Try and eat something early on the bike stage - energy bars of some description, then drink plenty going 'round. Take a good drink in transition before the run and then run without fluid would be my advice.

MH

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    One thing I'm really interest in sussing out is what people te or drank on the Helvellyn in previous years. I find it hard to get the balance sometimes. I need something to keep me going, but then get stitch if I eat or drink anything.
    Last year had a camelbak on the bike with part diluted energy drink and another 500ml bottle that I made sure I'd drained before the run. A second camelbak full for the run and a couple of gels on the way up (still got cramp!). Needless to say, my time broke no records, but still better than I had hoped for (5:50). I can't take big drinks, so a camelbak just means plenty of sips, and that may avoid a stitch.

Sounds like a lot of fluid I know, but I didn't need to pee all the way around, so it wasn't excessive.

well this time tomorrow i will have finished my first tri, providing i don't drown of course...
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'