Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cervical disc prolapse

Flopsy, my wife had a C6/7 discectomy and fusion with a titanium SOLIS cage about 12
    years ago. She'd suffered with excruciating pain down her left arm into hand for about 6 months prior to surgery. They think the prolapse was caused by her breastfeeding. They were very reluctant to treat with surgery and she was on all sorts of medication, amitriptyline, gabapentine,dihydrocodeine etc. Nothing really worked, just doped her up. She was off work for six months with a baby and became depressed. We pushed for surgery and it had an immediate impact. She woke up pain free, no complications at all. She's got a tiny scar on her neck, half an inch maybe. She did have some slight numbness in her fingertips for a while and she lost some power in her tricep. They reckon that was due to the nerve being compressed for so long. After a couple of months she was back exercising as usual.
    Good luck, I remember how horrendous it was for her and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Should have mentioned my CSF leak was epic... Enough to fill a 10mmx 15cmx10cm space in my back apparently. Which explains the crippling symptoms I Had, never had pain like it including a busted femur, ribs etc. the tear was over .5cm long, not a simple surgical needle stab which as you say Wheeze heals itself sometimes. They reckon I lost over half my CSF which caused cranial hypo-tension and minor bruising to the brain due to the loss of supporting fluid pressure. As well as residual dizziness and headache I am quite weak and have some memory loss: apparently that is normal and will recover. Nasty! Good luck with the neck Flopsy ... don't go where I have been!
    Indeed, Epic!
    Funnily enough, we had a similar case couple of weeks back. V. experienced surgeon. Just one of those things but horrid for the patient.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks Wheeze. Good to know I am not alone in this....mAre you a surgeon then? If so, When is it safe to get back to training....? Are some sciatic symptoms post op normal for a while....?

My sciatic pains lasted for about 5 weeks after my op

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Thanks Wheeze. Good to know I am not alone in this....mAre you a surgeon then? If so, When is it safe to get back to training....? Are some sciatic symptoms post op normal for a while....?
    No, I just have to image the carnage that results from the knife! Yeah, post op pain may take a while to settle and other things like numbness may never recover.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks Wheeze. 6 weeks post op, the sciatic pain is easing so hoping for no more surgery. Brain scan this week to make sure I don't have any permanent damage from the brain sag .... Apparently I lost LOT of CSF and have some bruising on the brain still. What a nightmare!

Good news that you're ok Harrier. Good luck with the brain scan.

I've not managed to speak to the neurosurgeon as he's being typically elusive. I believe that the second MRI scan showed no deterioration but no improvement. They've now postponed my next consultation until January though. Don't really know what to do about surgery yet. Swings and roundabouts.

In the meantime they are trying to treat my shoulder, which was also damaged in the accident. They're not sure what's wrong with that except it's impinged and hasn't so far settled after 10 months or responded to physio. Just had a Corticosteroid injection inoot the joint and so my arm is hurting quite a bit...ow ow ow....fingers crossed it helps.

All this stuff is so complex. After all my recent challenges I have started to think of head to foot as a single system ... which neuroloically I think it is. All these mechanical gripes seem to be interconnected ... you fix your neck then your shoulder or lower back goes etc. Since starting to exercise again I have been swimming mainly, and that seems to be really helping the nerve and physical manifestations . Freestyle really helps, kind of gentle stretching activity for an hour if you think about it. My shoulder / neck started playing up post-op and all that has gone with this. It's not running, but maybe its a necessary part of my future running plans if I can get back to that in the future.

Good luck with the scans and for a successful outcome Flopsy - please keep us posted.

Had my back op in September 2014 and did my 1st fell race on Sunday,it was a struggle and finished well done in the field,but I did it when I thought I'd never get to run again.
    just wondering how your getting on harrier