Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakes in a day

Just checked out Nee Bother's 2013 LL50 result where he came 10th with a time of 9:16. NB came 13th in Lakes in a Day (must have had an off day ) with a time of 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    What's the quality of the route like south of Ambleside? I was tempted to enter but this section looked long and a little dull, if enough people tell me otherwise then I may have to give it a go next year!

The second half is anything but dull, but reccying beforehand advised (I managed to get badly lost in woods just before the final run in to Cartmel and I live near there!). The race is waaay tougher than L50 and longer too: officially stated at 48 miles my garmin read 51.8 and others I spoke to recorded between 51 and 53 (and they apparantly managed not to get lost!)

Yeah I had 51.2 miles and we only went slightly wrong a couple of times in the woods. The woods made for some "super" navigation for sure

I agree. Great route but very tough.

My knees were sore after the big descents in the first half but I was going ok and still took 13.5 hours(I've done Round Rotherham in 8.5). The navigation after Finsthwaite was tricky and I probably spent 10 minutes pfaffing around trying to locate paths through the terrain; but the rest of the time was down to the toughness of the course.

Stolly et all - I've spent a bit of time looking at Tim H's gpx trace from his garmin. Definitely a GPX with 20,000 waypoints instead of my map version with a few thousand comes out as a long route taking in all of the little turns. Take out the mincing the start / finish and feed stations and I make it around 50 miles.

Any further feedback from the wise on Fellrunner who did the event welcome.

No worries JT.
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org

Great day out in the Lakes. As others have said, a tough 30 miles over high fell followed by a surprisingly hard 20miles on trail. Some fiddly navigation towards the end - like others, I got lost in the woods. minimal distance added but a bit of time lost due to multiple map checks.
    Again, as way of comparison, I finished in 12:23, and the Lakes 10 Peaks (43miles) took me 14:40 last year.
    My thighs are still very sore!!

Ha ha Manhar,

That person who called you a wimp was me! I used the same tactic on someone else but it didn't work, he did retire at Ambleside.

Was dead chuffed to see you finish, hope my lecture made the difference.

Jack(queline)

Thumbs up

Hi MackJick

A pleasure to meet you & yes your words definitely worked as far as I'm concerned (and I'm going to repeat them to myself for future long endeavours ie "you're not injured so carry on" )... didn't need to cuss you either ...think I may have just been having a low moment ascending Fairfield and or behaving like a drama queen.

Good luck with the Spine challenge - like I said hardest of the hardcore.........
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Great write up Stolly - entries for next year open on Monday, for those who are not on the mailing list here is a few photos from the day http://eepurl.com/5LR3T No worries James
    James

Diabetes is not an excuse its a reason www.howfast.org