Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OMM Information

I'm going too (provided my ankle is OK after spraining it badly at the RAB MM and having to drop out), in the Elite.

Don't remember much bog in the RAB Cheviots, maybe I was lucky. Good running I thought, nice area but lots of fences IIRC.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Yes my memory is some wet bogs on both days but not peat man eating ones like here at home. For me Day 2 was much more runnable and I got back too early

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadge View Post
    OMM forum used to be very busy ... until they changed format and lost all the old posts which were an invaluable source of information and anecdotes. Toreador does his best to keep it going but considering the size of the event it is a bit Marie Celestial!
    After the 2008 Borrowdale OMM general hosing down of all present, it was positively heaving with stories. What a shame to have lost them.
    This ^^^

Master
    My main memory from the RAB (other than the glorious weather) is that the map didn't show which areas of heather had been recently burned, and which were knee deep, so it was rather pot luck as to whether the route you chose was runnable or slow.
    Other than that it was all much less unpleasant than I'd convinced myself it was going to be!

Cheviots are are a wonderful place to run. Fast grassy paths turn into knee deep bog quickly. Great, tiring and arduous fun. Very sad I won't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Cheviots are are a wonderful place to run. Fast grassy paths turn into knee deep bog quickly. Great, tiring and arduous fun. Very sad I won't be there.
    Totally agree with your assessment Matthew. I really enjoyed the RAB MM a couple of years ago when we completed a big loop traversing Cheviot itself. Highlights were cutting right across Hen Hole and the run off the final top to the finish.

Catie (new partner to Spadge), if you're reading this...sort him out on Day 1 and then hang on to his coat tails on Day 2. He did mention you'll be getting the narrow berth in the tent didn't he? On the plus side he is a dab hand at tying those awkward knots in the comedy balloons needed for a balloon bed.

Enjoy everyone and hopefully see you again in 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    got it now.

Are many forumites going ??? Seems to be a lack of comment with just over a week to go. Omms own forum also largely quiet.

Anybody know what the Cheviots are like...boggy? steep? tussocky? or just right
    I did the KIMM 2003? In the Cheviot... Nothing to worry about, a bit of everything sums it up. Colder and more exposed than you might think, so stay leeward and maybe carry an extra warm layer for overnight. A/B /Elite slept high, icy and exposed when we did it. Boggy tops in places and tussocks are really long. Avoid forest blocks. If wet my experience was that streams flood quickly and are very fast - I got washed away crossing a nothing burn and resurfaced 40m does stream without my map. Never saw that again. Cross blue features high then if in XC mode. Some trots but don't rely in finding them .

Good fun - a nice area to play in. Sorry I can't make it this year!

. Anyone fancy spending the weekend with me on the medium score? Brother-in-law's knee would prefer to spend the weekend not running and resting so I have no partner. Could possibly push towards a place, but happy to have a good weekend with good company if not.

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    . Anyone fancy spending the weekend with me on the medium score? Brother-in-law's knee would prefer to spend the weekend not running and resting so I have no partner. Could possibly push towards a place, but happy to have a good weekend with good company if not.
    Still looking, or could join on another course with someone, recently done well in Rab long score...

Seems to be pretty dead on OMM Website - no overnight positions - a few years ago there used to be info throughout the day - Has it just turned into another money raising event?