Thread: Patellar tendonitis

Patellar tendonitis

Cor - I am really struggling with this at the moment. Anyone else had trouble with Patellar Tendonitis?
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Cor - I am really struggling with this at the moment. Anyone else had trouble with Patellar Tendonitis?
    Oh hell yes, which tendon- quads or patella or both? I've had it for nearly 2yrs now, the long term trend is that it is getting better but you can't rush it- no shortcuts. I ended up with cartilage damage on the backs of my kneecaps from it aswell- which i've still to get rid of. I've not been able to identify any cure or remedy apart from stopping all exercise activities for as long as it takes. I started a phased return in the beginning of June and i'm still trying to get a weekly routine going, but like i said it won't be rushed and i just keep on having minor relapses.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Oh hell yes, which tendon- quads or patella or both? I've had it for nearly 2yrs now, the long term trend is that it is getting better but you can't rush it- no shortcuts. I ended up with cartilage damage on the backs of my kneecaps from it aswell- which i've still to get rid of. I've not been able to identify any cure or remedy apart from stopping all exercise activities for as long as it takes. I started a phased return in the beginning of June and i'm still trying to get a weekly routine going, but like i said it won't be rushed and i just keep on having minor relapses.

Blimey Mr B hope it improves for you - yes it does seem like pushing things too soon will only make it worse. I have been trying to get out and just aggravating it more and more. I am currently just gentle jogging on flat grass every 3 days or so and trying to include some cycling for a change. Think stretching the quads helps although it's easy to aggravate the patellar tendons while you're trying to stretch. Warming them up well before any activities seems to help a bit (trying Deep Heat). Mine is in both knees at the front of the patellar/knee/shin area.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

New research has shown that tendonitis (inflammatory condition) is quite rare in the patella tendon as there is no signs of inflammation...have you noticed your tendon is rarely red, swollen, but still hurts these are classic symptoms of a tendinopathy rather than a tendonitis. It makes sense that the pain is occurring due to microteating in the tendon from overuse i.e running. In such cases its important to break down the scar tissue in the tendon and strengthen the muscles around the knee to avoid overloading the tendon. Pm me for further details thanks.

Banned
    This appears to be my newest injury.

Swollen knee with pain above the top half of the knee cap.

Mending slowly using regular ultrasound and massage and back to the strengthening exercises.