Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: "It's OK, He won't bite"

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Stop running. Stand still. Don't make eye-contact with the dog. Remain silent, and try your best to think calm thoughts and try and cultivate a 'relaxed' demeanour even if you're very pissed off or fearful. And wait for the owner to take control if that's feasible.
    Why should I have to do that, why can't owners take responsibility for their stupid animals and just leave me alone? Your dog will bite me given half a chance and if I wanted to play with a ******* dog, I'd own a ******* dog - I don't own a ******* dog, and I don't play with your ******* dog!!! Virtually every run round the fields by me some stupid idiot dog owner allows their dog to chase after me and makes absolutely no attempt at getting the wretched things under control. I'm not interfering with you, why can't you lot (sweeping generalisation intended) just leave me alone!

Sorry, but I have absolutely no comprehension of why people keep dogs as pets.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Why should I have to do that, why can't owners take responsibility for their stupid animals and just leave me alone? Your dog will bite me given half a chance and if I wanted to play with a ******* dog, I'd own a ******* dog - I don't own a ******* dog, and I don't play with your ******* dog!!! Virtually every run round the fields by me some stupid idiot dog owner allows their dog to chase after me and makes absolutely no attempt at getting the wretched things under control. I'm not interfering with you, why can't you lot (sweeping generalisation intended) just leave me alone!

Sorry, but I have absolutely no comprehension of why people keep dogs as pets.
    Haha, you need to get a dog Dom to help with your anger issues

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Haha, you need to get a dog Dom to help with your anger issues
    Thats so true!
    Dom, when the rest of the world is against you, when you have had a sh*tty day, when you are lonely and need a mate, a dog will be there offering unconditional total love and devotion. They don't ask for much, just intelligent ownership...which is where the problem lies IMHO. We live in a world of f*ckwits!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I walk and run with dogs all the time. The worst that happens is that they trip me up and I turn an ankle. However, I have been bitten on the arse twice whilst out running...both times the owner saying "ooh, he doesn't normally do that". I'm afraid that on one occasion the dog concerned received a solid punch in the face for his troubles...an instinctive reaction on my part. My beef is with dog owners....especially those who, when I call ahead to them asking them to hold their mutt, refuse and just say "he wouldn't hurt a fly". My response is usually to let them know that I am not so benign.
    It is actually a by-law around these parts (Calderdale) that owners must put their dog on a lead if asked.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    DT

More to the point it's their owners, even more so the owners that fail to read the dogs body language that clearly indicate fear and discomfort at my presence.
    I was trying not to get drawn into this post but the point from Shaunaneto is very valid here. I have owned and lived around dogs most of my life, but my latest rescue mutt has taught me things even I did not know. A few visits down the line to a behaviourist and I've had to rethink the approach I have been taking with rehabilitating him and his training regime.
    It is easy to say that it is the owners fault and I think nearly all agree with that. Let's face it, unless the animal is truely feral, 99% of the time the fault must lie with the owner. I have no problem with that except that at times, dogs do surprise even their owners especially when confronted with situations they have no experience of dealing with. It is then the responsibility of the owner to support the animal in the best way that they can and a good deal of this relies on being able to understand dog body language and react instantly and supportively to deter any unwanted behaviour. Unfortunatley very few owners take the time to develop these skills.

Most dogs are also incredibly good at picking up on human behaviour (far better than we of them) and in general will reflect the human behaviour back. ie. if they detect fear, confrontation, threat from an approaching runner, they are likely to exhibit the exact same emotions and implement whatever copeing mechanism they have, be that barking, growling or worse. Likewise playful dogs may see a runner as a new playmate; someone to enjoy running with.

For all his problems, my dog is no doubt happiest when out running across the hillsides and muddy footpaths where I live - he seems to lose most of his anxiety and nervousness. There again, so am I. Perhaps Mungo is just another a fell runner too.......
    Last edited by PeteS; 20-10-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: inability to type
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I had an encounter three weeks ago with a young Labrador running into my legs. 1st time gave me a fright, second time, not happy 3rd stopped turned and told the dog to f*(&^%& off. Well the owner completely lost it wanting me to apologise to the dog. I was not hanging about so kept running with the owner chasing after me screaming every sort of obscenity at me.

Saw them last week on the canal and he had the dog on a lead.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 20-10-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I was trying not to get drawn into this post but the point from Shaunaneto is very valid here. I have owned and lived around dogs most of my life, but my latest rescue mutt has taught me things even I did not know. A few visits down the line to a behaviourist and I've had to rethink the approach I have been taking with rehabilitating him and his training regime.
    It is easy to say that it is the owners fault and I think nearly all agree with that. Let's face it, unless the animal is truely feral, 99% of the time the fault must lie with the owner. I have no problem with that except that at times, dogs do surprise even their owners especially when confronted with situations they have no experience of dealing with. It is then the responsibility of the owner to support the animal in the best way that they can and a good deal of this relies on being able to understand dog body language and react instantly and supportively to deter any unwanted behaviour. Unfortunatley very few owners take the time to develop these skills.
    I agree .... and this is a good reason why all dogs should be under control because as well as the ones who are not well trained and therefore cause problems because of that, there are occasions when even a well trained dog can be a problem. The best control is a lead and if an owner can't bear that thought then a muzzle. I've owned dogs and love them generally but when it comes to a face off I'm with the human every time. If we have to compromise our doggie love affair to save some of them biting some people some times then that's what we should do

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I had an encounter three weeks ago with a young Labrador running into my legs. 1st time gave me a fright, second time, not happy 3rd stopped turned and told the dog to f*(&^%& off. Well the owner completely lost it wanting me to apologise to the dog. I was not hanging about so kept running with the owner chasing after me screaming every sort of obscenity at me.

Saw them last week on the canal and he had the dog on a lead.
    I'm with you most of the way on this ... just choose your dogs carefully if you're going to get mad as some will respond mad back at you and you'll lose

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
    I agree .... and this is a good reason why all dogs should be under control because as well as the ones who are not well trained and therefore cause problems because of that, there are occasions when even a well trained dog can be a problem. The best control is a lead and if an owner can't bear that thought then a muzzle. I've owned dogs and love them generally but when it comes to a face off I'm with the human every time. If we have to compromise our doggie love affair to save some of them biting some people some times then that's what we should do
    As a dog lover I would go further in some cases. Until such time as we can be reasonably sure how an animal will react and most importantly have gained the full trust of the animal, I would suggest that nervous dogs especially shouldn't even be placed in an environment that they do not feel confident in.
    With some animals this can take a long time - I am currently 9 months in to my latest project and have only just started to let him off his lead when out on a run. That said, I avoid taking him anywhere near any other people or dogs unless I can help it (even though he is now beginning to deal with this by himself). Parks or any other busy places would be just too much for him still with or without a lead. He has just not learnt the skills to cope with that yet.

I'm not a great fan of muzzles though. Firstly they can place unnecessary stress on the dog. Secondly, your average man in the street equates then with the dog being dangerous, exhibits fear and bingo (as pointed out in my previous post) dog reacts accordingly. Owners fault again though!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkley Swimmer View Post

1. "It's OK. He won't bite" [usually said as I'm staring at the dog's sharp teeth and wide open jaw...]
    2. "He's just a puppy" [most times, this is said about a huge dog such as an alsation chasing after me]
    3. "He's only playing" [ditto]
    4. "It's because you're running" [this is invariably offered as the explanation for why a dog is leaping all over me as if it is somehow my fault]

You get the idea. I am sure there are others ..........
    Potential replys:
    1) "Its OK. I don't kick" (whilst swinging leg at dog)
    2) "I'm just a grumpy old git " (perhaps whilst swinging a large stick at the dog)
    3) "I'm only playing " (ditto)
    4) "Its because he's snarling and barking" (this is invariably offered as an explaination for why you are kicking or beating the dog as if it were itsfault.