Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English Junior Champs 201

Gents, I don't think we should read too much into this!

Over recent years, the popularity of the Junior Championship has increased significantly & I imagine this decision is purely down to cost. As Felljunior points out, 249 competitors qualified for an award this year & there is no charge to the athlete. As far as I'm aware, the FRA do not receive any income from any of the junior races, so is it that unreasonable that an award from the FRA should only be given to FRA members?

Presumably, we are all members of the FRA ourselves, so shouldn't we look to encourage the next generation to join as well?

I don't think it will have any effect on the numbers taking part in the races, but it'll be interesting to see if there is an increase in membership (family or otherwise).
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

My worry is that most juniors and parents will be unaware of this 'new ' rule. I have sought clarification and am happy with the explanation given. It's my job now at our club to make sure that everyone who intents to compete in the FRA champs is aware so that come the end of the season no one misses out. As Hobbsy has said its purely down to cost and having been given the figures I can see why recipients of the T shirts/hoodies are being asked to be FRA members.

No junior has to be a member of the FRA to compete, win medals, trophies, an International place or the prizes at each race. Jim will rank all runners as usual.

It is £8 to join as a junior (which remains the same even though other fees have gone up) it's £24 as a family of 4 (each person over 9 gets own magazine, calendar & handbook).

Not strictly juniors, but the 2015 U20 Championship will consist of the following races:
    Errwood Hall, Derbyshire Saturday 28th March (Also Juniors)
    West Nab, West Yorkshire Saturday 18th April (Also Juniors)
    Pen Y Ghent, North Yorkshire Saturday 6th June (U18 eligible)
    Lingmell Dash, Cumbria Saturday 25th July (U18 eligible)
    Lakeland Country Fair, Cumbria Sunday 16th August Over 18
    Guisborough 3 Tops, North Yorkshire Sunday 6th September Over 18
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Is it just t-shirts this year of are ghere hoodies too? X