Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing muddy shoes

Storing muddy shoes

Mrs. Jezzlar has now banned my shoes from their usual spot in the kitchen, as she has a new one (negotiated, in return for letting me do lots of races). I prefer to keep them relatively dry, as I imagine it's not good for them to be wet all the time? If you have a neat storage suggestion I am all ears. I've often thought about a shoe box with a small dehumidifier attached, not seen one on the market though.

I have the same problem. We've compromised - I leave them in the shed and she doesn't play pop with me leaving them in the kitchen....

More seriously - stuff 'em with newspaper and find a dry spot in the shed (hanging above a bucket?) until they're dry enough to sneak back into the kitchen. Blame the dog/cat/canary/goldfish if they're discovered.

YMMV,
    LS

I never bother anymore. They'll only be sodden wet within 24hrs, not worth the dry feet for just the first 6 meters of the run.

And usually the studs go before the upper on mine.

And, brace yourself....this is with Inov8's

I don't read enough newspapers for that to work. On the occasion I do want the shoes dried I have a Husqvarna boot dryer which is slow but effective. Bit smelly whilst drying admittedly, but they are reasonably safe with regards to stitching at wot not.
    pies

Sorry, I have a garage. I just open the door and lob them in.
    pies

I plonk them straight under the radiator which I usually have to hoover under every now and then due a build up of dried mud/cow splat
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

Them boot driers will make a good stocking filler i'll get them on the list, and should be fine in the garage. I've got some bean bags by trekmates that do a pretty good job, I'm not bothered about wet socks just taking care of the stitching as it's always the uppers with me

What I find difficult is hiding yet another pair of fell shoes that have just arrived in post! My kids don't miss a thing!

That's a good point. Do we need a poll: how many pairs of fell shoes do you have?

I think I have about 7, and a few "dead" pairs I haven't chucked yet. The funny thing is that they all serve slightly different functions: racing, racing lightweight, long days out, summer training, muddy training, trail training, minimal, ones that don't fit well but I want to get value for money out of.

Noel I am on a similar number. My trusty old Inov8 333s (that according to strava have 1800 km on the clock) are now too worn down for the steep stuff but are still usable around marple. I only have the one pair of true fell shoes now (Inov8 272 with about 100 Km onthe clock!!) On the look out for a good deal on a pair of 300s

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That's a good point. Do we need a poll: how many pairs of fell shoes do you have?

I think I have about 7, and a few "dead" pairs I haven't chucked yet. The funny thing is that they all serve slightly different functions: racing, racing lightweight, long days out, summer training, muddy training, trail training, minimal, ones that don't fit well but I want to get value for money out of.
    I think I'm in the minority in that I only have one pair of fell shoes? Oh, and two old pairs with no tread and holes in the uppers sitting in the cupboard...

I tend to dry mine on the radiator during the winter, outside during the summer. I used to clean them off with a stiff brush when dry, but can't be bothered any more so they just get stuffed in a carrier bag and thrown in the cupboard.