Our old pal, Daz h, once told me to try and stay seated when I'm climbing, because I was struggling on a particular local hill where I was loosing traction near the top and wheel spinning and Daz told me to keep on the saddle.

I've been having a nosy at the 100 greatest climbs to see if there are any close to home, and there's an article on hill climbing technique.

It reinforces what Daz told me, but generally stays you should stay seated when climbing as a rule of thumb, unless it becomes extremely steep and it warrants getting up out the seat, otherwise you are wasting too much energy.

I prefer to get out of the saddle for pretty much every hill I come across. I've always felt most comfortable doing this, and seem to lose energy quicker if im climbing seated. Plus I'm faster out the saddle.

My theory is that I've trained myself both physically and mentally to deal with climbs better standing on the pedals, but I wonder if it's also because of my running background that being upright is better suited as apposed to sitting. So in affect im running but on my bike - if that makes sense?

Anyway, im wittering, but does anybody else favour getting out the saddle, or agree with my theory on being a runner and thus letting that help cycling out of the saddle, or do I fundamentally have to accept that I need to retrain myself mind and body to glue my arse to the seat?