Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe choice (again)

Shoe choice (again)

Apologies as this has probably been done to death already....
    I consigned my Mudclaw 333s to the back of the cupboard last year as I can't put up with the heel blisters they induce on anything more than a gentle uphill run and have been running in super comfy roclites since then.
    After today's pathetic descending on the Cardington Cracker I definitely need more grip!

My question is, what is the opinion on the new mudclaws, are they any more comfortable than the older ones (appreciate we've all got different feet :-) )

I have lumpy heel spurs which used to mean that my heels would destroy the heal lining of Mudclaws which would then start to rip the skin off my heel. I now use Duck Tape to cover the lining of the heel cup and this has reduced the friction sufficiently to allow me to wear Mudclaws again.
    Last edited by Roadkill; 08-12-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Apologies as this has probably been done to death already....
    I consigned my Mudclaw 333s to the back of the cupboard last year as I can't put up with the heel blisters they induce on anything more than a gentle uphill run and have been running in super comfy roclites since then.
    After today's pathetic descending on the Cardington Cracker I definitely need more grip!

My question is, what is the opinion on the new mudclaws, are they any more comfortable than the older ones (appreciate we've all got different feet :-) )
    The cracker was well muddy this year - I don't envy you in roclites on some of the descents!
    I ran round in Mudclaw 300s without much of a problem and I don't feel they are any different in fit to their predecessors the 270s and 272s if you have tried either of those. I've never owned a pair of 333s as the only time I ever tried them on, they didn't feel great so instantly discounted them. The 333s seemed a more robust shoe and nowhere near as flexible as their lighter cousin. On that basis, I'd say for me, they are more comfortable. Not sure if that's of any help for you though!

BTW I'm currently loving the La Sportiva Anakonda - probably not as aggressive as the mudclaw but certainly more grippy then a roclite.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

vasseline. I find the mudclaw 265 a little kinder on the heal too, once you've run 10 or so miles in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    I have lumpy heel spurs which used to mean that my heels would destroy the heal lining of Mudclaws which would then start to rip the skin off my heel. I now use Duck Tape to cover the lining of the heel cup and this has reduced the friction sufficiently to allow me to wear Mudclaws again.
    Sounds just like my feet!
    I'll give the duck tape a go before I spend any money.

thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    Sounds just like my feet!
    I'll give the duck tape a go before I spend any money.

thanks all
    Mine too! I've worn out the heels of 2 pairs of inov8 (the Mudclaws went exactly as described above, taking a lump of flesh with them) and some More Miles this year. It hadn't occurred to me before now that it might be my heels, rather than build quality, that's to blame (I honestly thought that everyone's heels were that shape). Time to get taping...

I'm only on my 2nd pair of fell shoes, went for Mudclaw 300's this time. I've done 50 miles in them and they do keep giving me heel blisters. I'd done about 400 miles in my Speedcross 3's with no heel blisters at any point. Might have to try the duct tape idea, see if that helps.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

I loved my 333s but after 1800Km they are so knackered and worn down they cannot be used on anything steep now. Is there an equivalent now or is the 300 the only opiton? I really liked having the more robust shoe for winter training.

Update on my Mudclaws, the duct tape worked a treat for stopping the blisters but the 333s eventually fell apart and I treated myself to the new ss15 300s. They are like running in a pair of super comfortable and grippy slippers - very happy ��

Putting zinc oxide tape on my heels for all but the shortest run works a treat in stopping blisters, you still wear out little holes in most heel cups tho...