Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring Marathons 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    HAd a few injuries since summer, but when I'm fit I'm doing about 60 miles per week. 18 week training plan starts next week, just recovering from a slight hamstring strain at the moment, so will scale the first week back a bit.

Since I started running regularly 3 years ago I've lost about 2.5 stone. Stick at it, it feels great , but remember to still eat healthily if you're doing a decent amount of training .
    Yep, I'm not going overboard. Just aiming to lose 1.5lbs a week which, given how much crap I've realised I eat, is actually proving fairly easy! I'm sure that will start to plateau off though.

Stopped running competitively 12 years ago but recently had a realisation that my weight was like me being my old racing weight (60kg ish) but carrying both my 5 year old and my 18 month old on my back. Time to dig out the running shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Yep, I'm not going overboard. Just aiming to lose 1.5lbs a week which, given how much crap I've realised I eat, is actually proving fairly easy! I'm sure that will start to plateau off though.

Stopped running competitively 12 years ago but recently had a realisation that my weight was like me being my old racing weight (60kg ish) but carrying both my 5 year old and my 18 month old on my back. Time to dig out the running shoes!
    Yes, it's amazing isn't it. I used to know a lass who was very overweight. Then she lost the equivalent of my weight over the course of about a year!!

Imagine trying to walk up stairs carrying someone on your back. That was what it was like for her every day.

Good luck Iain.

Funnily enough, I was speaking to Tim Bayley (ex GB 800m runner) yesterday evening; he's been out in Boston coaching at Harvard for the last 3 years and was raving about the Boston course. Fingers crossed its as good as he says it is and you do 2:33.
    Thanks, it can be very fast, hence the worlds fastest marathon times run there (but can't be WR's), but thats also because its a point to point course, so a tail wind can be huge. The downhill start is also a problem, you can easily run a 10 mile PR out of the start and blow your race apart.. then the hills come in at 17-20 or so, not severe but if you've overcooked the start they are.

If you get it right you can see how it can be very quick, but I just think it's easier to run a very flat race like chicago perfectly than Boston.. I'm still trying to work out how quickly to do the first half..

I ran it back in 2012 but finished in 2:44 when the temperature was 87F around 30C.. but at least I experienced the course.. likewise though I need to drop a few lbs I think..

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, it's amazing isn't it. I used to know a lass who was very overweight. Then she lost the equivalent of my weight over the course of about a year!!

Imagine trying to walk up stairs carrying someone on your back. That was what it was like for her every day.
    That's just crazy! She did damn well to lose that much over a year as well.
    Last edited by TheHeathens; 12-12-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Great stuff Lynne - good luck with that!
    thanks, you too

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    I did Manchester last year in 3:03, so I bet you can guess what I'm going for when I do it again in 2015 ;-)
    I was just behind you with a 3:06, managed the sub 3 hr in October but I would have said the Manchester course would have been easier to sub 3 than Chester were I cracked it. Doing London but only a jog round next year.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

If i can stay fit its London for me next year.

OK, for those who are aiming for / have run around 3 hours - what sort of time were you doing your long training runs in?

I've set sub 3:30 as my benchmark but I have no idea if this is too optimistic, too cautious, or spot on. I'm doing my 13 mile Sunday training runs in about 1:36-1:37 at the moment; I usually start off at 8 min/mile and progessively pick the pace up so the last few miles are in about 6:45-7:00.

I've still got a lot (~7kg) to lose before race day so I should get quicker but I'd be interested in hearing some people's thoughts? As an ex-5k runner, this is uncharted territory for me!

This far off I don't think pace is too crucial but that's in the same ball park as me..

I do most of my long runs in the 6:45-7:00 range, and my marathon pace is 5:59

In the last 2 months I do more of my long runs quicker but also finish at or close to marathon pace over the last 3-5 miles.. I think the fast finish long runs are very important for me.

But this far out I don't really care, if I don't feel up for a hard run I won't mind running 7:20-7:40 pace. You are still getting the aerobic case in which is the main thing. Just plenty of 90 minute to 2 hour runs, and then pick up the 20 milers when you start proper training cycle. Mine will kick off after christmas.

When training for marathon I wouldn't dream of running for 3 hours 30 minutes. I like to keep my long runs to no more than 18-19 miles. I aim to get a few of them in, within 6 weeks leading up to marathon. I think spending more than 3 hours on a training run will be detrimental to you. Good luck with it