Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind/Waterproof Tights

Wind/Waterproof Tights

Hello. I would just like to find out if anyone has had experience with tights that have wind- and/or water-proofing/resisting features, and that are used to keep warm on winter runs. My legs in particular get cold very easily, and so I wear tights for a lot of my runs over the winter. However, if it starts to rain/sleet/snow and/or the wind picks up, my tights end up soaked making my legs tighten up with the cold. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just carry race kit and fire the waterproof pants over your tights

Maybe not currently the fashionable thing to be seen in; however, several years ago I had a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters with the DXB water-repellent finish. They were pretty good. Took them along as my only legwear for a Scottish coast-to-coast; even wading burns above knee level, they soon dried out.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Maybe not currently the fashionable thing to be seen in; however, several years ago I had a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters with the DXB water-repellent finish. They were pretty good. Took them along as my only legwear for a Scottish coast-to-coast; even wading burns above knee level, they soon dried out.
    I still have my pair of these. I've never been certain if they really repel rain, though I do re-proof them with Nikwax, or if it just a placebo effect, but I certainly agree they dry very fast.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

The water resistant treatment that is used on things like the Sportful NoRain arm warmers I use for cycling seems good. You can get cycling tights with the same treatment, so maybe some of those without pads would work.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I've been using DXBs for years. They certainly aren't waterproof and i've never been able to identify what this DXB finish does, however they drain quickly and carry very little water when soaked.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Not at all windproof though....

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Not at all windproof though....
    Better than shorts, plus you can tear through bracken and gorse without problems.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I tend to run in power stretch fleece pants in bad weather and if its windy or extra warmth reuired throw on my pertex legs. If it's going to be wet or racing though then the waterproofs go in.

Quote Originally Posted by davekershaw View Post
    Just carry race kit and fire the waterproof pants over your tights
    Yeh, I do often carry waterproof pants, but just thought I'd see if there were any tights out there with relevant features on them. Thanks anyway!

Thanks for all the comments everyone