Thread: DD Intro Ultra/Peak SR?

DD Intro Ultra/Peak SR?

Hi all,
    I'm contemplating an ultra in the Peak District this year. As I'm not local (but not completely unfamiliar with bits of the PD), and an inexperienced (although not totally clueless) navigator, what are your opinions on a) Peak Skyrace and b) Dig Deep Intro Ultra please? TIA.
    Chris (Pitsea Running Club)

I did the Intro Ultra 2 years ago and was glad that I'd recce'd the unfamiliar sections. It's all on clear trails, so the nav wouldn't have been hard, but it's nice to have one less thing to think about or to go wrong. There were a couple of places where I missed turns in the recce, eg. coming down off Bradwell Edge.

It's a great run - I'd definitely recommend it.

I can't comment on either of the 2 you suggest as I've not done them, but I would recommend the Long Tour of Bradwell and the High Peak 40. I did both last year without any real recce's and found that they were pretty well marked all the way round, but there will always be section you'll have to navigate. I think the The Long Tour of Bradwell covers very similar ground to the Intro Ultra and the current entry price is £13 compared to £45.
    the stickier.... the better....

Super Moderator
    +1 for Tour of Bradwell

Are there any LDWA ultra events in the Peak?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator
    +1 for Tour of Bradwell

Are there any LDWA ultra events in the Peak?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I also did the Intro Ultra a couple of years ago and enjoyed it (but I won entry through a competition, being quite tight fisted it is unlikely I would have payed £45 to enter). As above the tour of bradwell looks good, hopefully have a go this year.

As for LDWA events (or type events if not official ones): I did the Baslow Boot Bash this year which is about 27 miles, really nice route with well organised checkpoints, there is also the dovedale dipper, 26ish miles I think, and I guess the grindleford gallop which is probably sold out already.

+1 for Baslow Boot Bash, Long Tour of Bradwell and High Peak 40. Dovedale Dipper is probably too short at marathon distance but it's a cracking event. Also don't forget the premier event - Bullock Smithy Hike. Its 56+ miles take in the Dark and White Peaks from Stockport out around the other side of Buxton and back.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - looks like I'll be getting the maps outat the weekend!
    Chris (Pitsea Running Club)

You'll find links to all the ultras we know about on the Runfurther.com website - click on the Ultra Calendar tab. It includes the LDWA events.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Have only done two ultra races - the Ultra Tour of the Peak District and the Tour de Helvellyn in the Lakes. Looks like the Intro Ultra covers the same ground as the UTPD just shortened. Really enjoyed both events. I run a lot in the Peak and thought that the Ultra Tour route linked some great running. Well organised and plenty of other stuff going on so can make a weekend of it.