Thread: New watch - or not...

New watch - or not...

Thinking about getting a new running watch that I don't have to keep plugging into my ancient laptop to upload my runs

Opinions please

fenix 2 - very tempted by the nav features but is it any good as a normal running watch? Also can you upload runs wirelessly to garmin connect?

Garmin 220 - ticks most of the boxes but the geeky side of me keeps getting drawn to the fenix

cheers

Lyndon

Garmin just announced some new watches, if you need/want the very latest ;-)

Fenix3 - which is the Fenix2 with all the running/swimming/cycling features that the 920 has, or put another way a 920 with the navigation features of the Fenix2.

Epix - a Fenix3 with colour mapping

Details here http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Don't get the 220. I got one and I have regretted it ever since. The climb is out, it doesn't register when you aren't moving (i.e. stopped, as my 305 used to), conversely on long steep slow ascents it measures you as not moving because your pace isn't fast enough.If you spend a lot of time actually running without the slow ascents then it may be ok, however I wouldn't recommend the Garmin 220 to anyone who runs on the fells.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme78 View Post
    conversely on long steep slow ascents it measures you as not moving because your pace isn't fast enough.
    Is that not a setting? That has been discussed here before when somebody done a stupidly fast BG leg due to the auto-pause. Somebody (it may have been alwaysinjured) explained how to change the speed at which it decides you are sat on your.....

I've just been looking at the review for it and seen that. Which makes me less of a fan, as I'm a kind of put it on and get on with it person. Which is what their old watches seemed more like.
    Something to do tonight instead of talk to the Mrs I suppose

The Mrs has a 220, if you keep the firmware up to date i.e.. plug it into a laptop running Garmin Express once in a while and switch off the auto pause there's no issue, the runs always seem to match me on a 310XT.
    Once setup it syncs to garmin connect and strava simply be being on and near her phone - it's super easy for her in that respect.

220 works fine for me. GPS on slopes is always a bit off. For steep stuff - as others have said, ensure the autopause is off. You do have to plug the 220 in, but I prefer this to the old ANT+ which would sometimes not connect.

As for height being off, this depends on what software you're viewing runs in. They should be about the right ballpark but you'll see differences between Strava, GarminConnect, Attackpoint or whatever you use. (I tend to mistrust Strava's climb a bit, preferring Attackpoint's)

When I got my old Garmin 410 Autopause was already activated - handy for cycling but bugger all else (especially orienteering!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Just pressed the buy button on a Fenix 2, hope it's as good as all of the write ups for that money :-)
    Now got a Garmin 305 for sale with heart monitor, no beep, could do with a new watch strap but has always worked well.
    Looking for £50 inc postage.