Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hamstring

Tried a roller and made it worse but to be honest I think I used it a bit aggresively and probably damaged it a bit more .Pains about gone at the moment so will carry on running and just do a bit of MTBing as well.

Yeah! I think I did that at first then read something somewhere that it might be better slower and gentler! Again Good Luck!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Yes will give it another go a bit more sedately ! I actually ran 7 mils tonight and the niggles everywhere have about gone,it's unbelievable really.3 years ago I tried running after the cycling and got the hamstring problem straight away so rested it then tried again a few times after a weeks rest with the same result so gave in,glad I tried running through it the last 2 seasons,racing soon ! !

42 mile week + 5 mile walk and sound ,big week for this time of year for me ! never lost a pound though,Greggs free cake with a coffee don't help !

How did you use the roller? You need to do it extremely slowly, stopping for 20-30 seconds on the bits that really hurt. Most people roll too quickly.

I actually use a rolling pin rather than a foam roller but it seems strange that the roller aggravated it.

I press on as much as I can with no pain,i was really pressing too hard and must have been aggravating it.Will try it a bit slower.cheers.

It's another of those bones of contention, but i stretch every day- all the major muscle groups, and never have tightness problems...ever.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Well,everything going ok,haven't actually used the roller or stretched,I just warm up really slow for a mile,a slow jog and that seems to work.I ran a 12 mile road route I have not ran for years and an off road snowy one today.I have been going steady which is ok but it doesn't get ME race fit .I believe if you walk you get fit for walking,if you jog you get fit for jogging .I tried to catch a guy in front today and went up a gear or two and realised how unfit I am,it's time to make it hurt a bit ! From Hamstring swollen a month ago to it being just slight pain to the touch is unbelievable,its got to be 'biking only' that causes it.Think I will add a bit of MTB this year,race a bit.