Thread: Kit for the girls...

Kit for the girls...

I'm really looking for recommendations for both waterproof jackets and rucksacks for fell races... At the mo' I'm borrowing the other half's Montane Minimus and using any old day sack. Any recommendations gratefully received - I'm a size 8/10 - maybe the Montane Minimus smock in small? Thanks fell runner types! Oh, one more, when regs say full body cover, I understand that is means a tapped seamed waterproof jacket with hood but what about leggings? Ta muchly! Kx

http://fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/committ..._Equipment.pdf - Section 12 for kit requirements.

Hi, my Mrs runs with an OMM Ladies Kamleika Race Jacket and really likes it. rucksacks were a pain for ladies, she really struggled to fine anything that fitted at all - she's quite small. The Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab Hydro 12 was the only one that felt comfy, not cheap but it fits like a vest and she really loves running in it.

Unless you plan on taking a lot of extra kit you probably dont actually need a rucsack for most fell races, most of us use a bumbag.

I've got the women's version of the Montane Minimus and I like it. If you're buying a rucksac I'd recommend trying plenty on. I'm tall and fairly broad of shoulder and ended up with a North Face one, but only use it for long days out. I find a bum bag plenty big enough for basic kit for races

Quote Originally Posted by MissRunningBear View Post
    I'm really looking for recommendations for both waterproof jackets and rucksacks for fell races... At the mo' I'm borrowing the other half's Montane Minimus and using any old day sack. Any recommendations gratefully received - I'm a size 8/10 - maybe the Montane Minimus smock in small? Thanks fell runner types! Oh, one more, when regs say full body cover, I understand that is means a tapped seamed waterproof jacket with hood but what about leggings? Ta muchly! Kx
    Leggings don't count as waterproof body cover, you need a jacket and some bottoms both with taped seams and marketed as being waterproof. Most people go for a good jacket and a cheap pair of bottoms, i got a good jacket and a good pair of bottoms because i know what it is like to race in soaking wet tracksters...cold.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Sort of disagree on the bumbag thing. They're not for everyone. They can give me abdomen pain. Only use them for summer when very little needs to be carried.

I love my new salomon rucksack, with it's own bladder system. But I do have a very long back as well as being 5ft 10 so not sure it would fit a petit lady.

I agree Mr B. I've invested in some quality lightweight legs too (Rab) But I did get them half price!

I love my Montane minimus - I got the ladies fit- montane come up small, so I always go for a size bigger than I am. (Although, maybe that's down to too much cake ;-)) brilliant to run in, and screws up real small to fit in a bumbag - I never thought I'd use one of these, but it's great, I don't notice it when I'm running, it's the small OMM one. But I'd probably use a rucksack type for an extra, extra long race!
    Just treated myself to a pair of Kamelika race pants. Great to run in, not too baggy and don't rustle at all really :-)
    Happy running

Thanks everyone. I've gone for a men's xs Omm Kamleika smock - bright red and blue just in case I ever need to be spotted...!

See you on Wed hopefully Willo-the-Wisp!

Kx