Thread: ipad, garmin, Strava

ipad, garmin, Strava

Does any one know if you can upload a Garmin watch onto Strava on an ipad?

Or perhaps more useful - has anyone actually done this successfully.

I know that you can by a lightening / USB cable - marketed for cameras.

I can't find anything on the google/garmin/apple sites - bored looking, should have come here first off, everyone seems to know everything

thanks

Probably not because Garmin use ANT+ rather than Bluetooth.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/g...d-surface.html

You can upload from a Tom Tom watch to an iThing, which does have Bluetooth. Not that it really helps you!

thanks for the reply but....

the 220 has a "charge / data cradle" with clips onto the watch and then connects via USB to a computer.

I have however had a bit of an idea, it suggests that you can connect to Garmin Connect via your phone, and I could then link Garmin Connect and Strava. Feels like a bit of a chew on, and we don't bother with Garmin Connect, but is this a solution?

There's an auto-sync function on Strava now, so upload to Garmin and then it'll be in Strava within a few minutes.

The 220 has bluetooth, which seems much more reliable than ant. if you pair it with your ipad, it'll upload to garmin connect.
    blue tooth instructions:
    http://support.garmin.com/support/se...00000000000%7D

garmin connect -> strava sync instructions:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/a...endomondo.html

once it's setup your runs will load into strava just when you're near the ipad, you don't even need to unlock the screen - certainly this is the case using an android phone.

i use the Garmin-strava sync. works fine. i think the new watches connect to Garmin via your phone. don't see why it wouldn't work with an iPad.

i have a 310xt so have to use ant+ to my mac / Garmin connect

You need to buy an ANT+ adapter for your ipad/iphone and then use the garmin connect app to upload your workout to Garmin. It will then sync with Strava. Checkout DC Rainmaker's post: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/g...nd-garmin.html

Does the 220 not have wifi? I press a button on my 620 and it uploads using wfi and then it automatically copied to strava.

Update : you can do it. If anyone else ever needs to know......

I think the following is what is what I did. I had lots of fun, and have nothing better to do with my life.

I needed to update the software on the watch itself ( bit of a surprise on a new watch? ). You do this through Garmin Express - which I installed on my PC and worked form there as it has a USB port.
    You need to pair the watch to the ipad via bloothtooth
    You then need to install Garmin Express - this is the software that connects to the watch automatically when you bring the watch near the ipad.
    You need to create an account at Garmin Connect - web site
    You then tell strava to connect to Garmin Connect.

You go for a run ( at last ). Bring the watch home and leave it near the ipad, and a few minutes later your run is on strava.

Unfortunately during the process of updating the watch software on my PC, when I had to install Garmin Express - it removed my ANT+ stuff - which is I what I use for my watch. However Garmin Express seems to be an improvement on using Training Centre to upload my watch through, so I have left it there. I still use the dongle in the back of my PC for my watch.

Mrs B can now use her ipad and her new watch and is even more happy than before.