Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof overmitts

Waterproof overmitts

With the more long running I do, the more I'm wondering about the benefits of keeping the pinkies warm and dry.

As with most folks, if it's chilly I just run in Hilly / Inov gloves, which is fine until it's wet, then they're obviously rubbish cos your fingers freeze! Quite a few times I've finished a run and struggled to unclip my rucsac because of this.

So, the ramble is leading up to waterproof overmitts - I'm thinking of these for obvious reasons, i.e. keep the hands dry but still warm as the fingers are together, but I'm after lightweight/compact ones.

Does anyone have any experience of using them in the real world i.e. dexterity issues getting maps/sweets etc out? And are there any recommendations (Extremities top bags / tuff bags, Montane etc)?

Ta muchly

I've not tried mitts, but Sealskinz gloves do the job for me. They're completely waterproof, pretty light and you can still undo zips and things with them.

Buffalo mitts, try them on in a shop first as they fit quite slender.

I'm a pile and pertex aficionado though and do rate the whole warm when wet thing.

If you want genuine water proofing on the cheap try these http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...ne-639287.html . I was given a pair for free, they are bulky to carry but are fully waterproof and mine have a quilted lining and are very warm

Thanks chaps. I have some SealSkinz gloves, but once hands are warm find them really tough to take off and on, as they seem to crease up inside.

Super Moderator
    Buffalo, 'core. Them grey boiled wool Dachshund jobs, proper 'core
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    +1 for the Buffalo.
    I seem to increasingly suffer with cold extremities teh older I get so invested in these a while ago.
    I also have a pair of very light weight cotton gloves to wear underneath so I can whip the mits off to get to pockets etc without fingers freezing. That said, the buffalo only come out when its well below freezing but have been down to a wind-chilled -20 with no problem.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Oh, & post # 11 for the source.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Must get my eyes tested, I read Ovenmitts , I have a pair of Pearl Izumi lobster claw type things, not sure whether you can still get them but very warm if you can :-)

Shows that my post searching skills are shit - I reckoned to have a look for past threads!

Thanks for the input fellas, I'm off to buy some of them Buffalo oveNmitts