Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: world masters

Super Moderator
    Thanks for posting. Was he fluent in Latin?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Mr Moderator, I know you don't want this thread cluttered up with other things but a suggestion arising from the JBF memory. How's about a thread telling human stories about the Big Characters of the FRA. Not the public face, for books and magazine articles but the human foibles and recollections of friends, relations, children. The funny stuff that happens. PS I've been puzzling over your question about the Latin?

Witton Park, in post #55, presents what I believe are a crucial pair of statements on safety. The Runner has a duty of care to her/himself and the Race Organiser has a duty of care to the runners. Someone has pointed out that no race organiser can be expected to control, or even monitor securely and accurately, what is happening 5 km away, at 400+ m in foul weather. That's what safety rules have to cater for, in my view.

In my new role as salesman for the WMMRC, a few comments about past races. Would like to hear responses, please. 2003, Zell, pedestrian route but an amazing presentation ceremony; 2004, Souze, a finish in a high amphitheatre, with majestic views across the valley; 2005, Keswick, a weekend of pure, magic, enjoyment (thanks Jon and team); 2006, Saillon-Ovrannaz, heart and thigh bursting climb through a vineyard, over a swinging suspension bridge, more challenging climbs through lovely woods, a finish in a spectacular setting; 2007, Bludenz, another classic, European, climb-only, race finishing in jaw-dropping Alpine mountains; 2008, Dolni Morava - an ego trip for me!; 2009, Zagreb, ???; 2010; Korbielow, well-remembered by all who ran.

2009 steep track from the centre of Zagreb Croatia,got caught in a torrential downpour at closing ceremony,
    2010 korbielow, Poland got caught in torrential downpour straight off the plane and it didn't stop till we got home,took half an hour to find dry clothes at top,nearly froze to death,hardest race so far [due to conditions]
    2011 paluzza italy best course since Keswick due to presence of a descent
    2012 ? Germany
    2013 janske lazne Czech republic,tough climb,with slight descent early on
    2014 telfes Austria,hard course especially last 2 miles

2009 steep track from the centre of Zagreb Croatia,got caught in a torrential downpour at closing ceremony,
    2010 korbielow, Poland got caught in torrential downpour straight off the plane and it didn't stop till we got home,took half an hour to find dry clothes at top,nearly froze to death,hardest race so far [due to conditions]
    2011 paluzza italy best course since Keswick due to presence of a descent
    2012 ? Germany
    2013 janske lazne Czech republic,tough climb,with slight descent early on
    2014 telfes Austria,hard course especially last 2 miles

World Sports Administration is concerned overwhelmingly with athletics in controlled environments - stadia, swimming pools, road marathons. Therefore the mind-set is to remove all hazards from the arena and design it to give the best chance of records being set. The "family tree" line controlling the World Masters is IAAF, WMA, WMRA, UKA. How many have ever set foot on a mountain? It follows naturally, therefore, that the courses for the World Masters are made anodyne and they don’t even think of safety rules to cover mountain conditions.
    The High Administrators are on a different wavelength to fell runners! In total contrast, mountain/fell/hill runners accept the challenge, revel in the ability to flow, like Billy Bland, over the toughest country, (in England: Kentmere, Ennerdale, Helvellyn etc etc) and enjoy the mountain environment.
    If you accept my theory, all becomes clear. All the comments about the courses and all the other eccentricities stem from completely different philosophies of what it's all about.
    Incidentally, in general philosophy, orienteers are the same as fell runners - they accept the challenge of the natural environment. In fact, the Race Organiser can't predict the exact route the runners will take!! In a reply to me, the BOF said "Our events are open to 80+ orienteers. However there is specific guidance available as to terrain, length, difficulty etc., so that they can make their own informed decisions as to whether they wish to compete”.
    What do you think?

Its gone quiet on the WM thread. Will be there on the Friday night for pasta and have entered the Open Race on the Saturday for a bimble round the lake. Will anyone else be there?

Banned
    Over priced race to be on the fell running forum.

Each to there own I suppose.

I'll be there. I've done all but 2 since my first one at Keswick and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I know it's expensive by fell running standards but you do a meal and a T-shirt ! From a course point of view last years race in Austria was superb with astonishing views. The German race in 2012 was great thanks to the hospitality shown by our host German family.