Thread: Advice

Advice

At the moment with work been so busy Im struggling to get some proper training in!!
    I can cover a good 8-10 miles off road, how ever need a plan to get to half marathon and cover a good 10 on the fells, plus be able to fit in some gym seasions (due to the nature of my work)
    Any advice on a plan to do five sessions a week, 3 been runs, two in the gym on weights??

Quote Originally Posted by Andypye View Post
    At the moment with work been so busy Im struggling to get some proper training in!!
    I can cover a good 8-10 miles off road, how ever need a plan to get to half marathon and cover a good 10 on the fells, plus be able to fit in some gym seasions (due to the nature of my work)
    Any advice on a plan to do five sessions a week, 3 been runs, two in the gym on weights??
    Is your target a HM? When? Or you you just talking generally?

I wouldn't do weights in the gym, I'd do a circuit on cross trainer, bike and treadmill. When I had a reasonable level of fitness a few years ago, that's what I did whilst my daughter swam.
    15 minutes on bike.
    30 minutes on cross trainer - in a pyramid building up the resistance in 3 minute intervals and then bringing it down.
    15 minutes on treadmill.
    I would add a little if I had time, but always on the cross trainer.

Make one run 15 miles steady, with some hills in there.
    Of your other 2 runs, a decent Fartlek/Interval run of 6 - 8 miles. If you don't like mid-run surges (I don't) then make the last 25% a tempo, but try and set your run so you aren't trying to tempo in to a brickwall wind or up a 15% gradient
    Your other run - just do what you can. I have had similar issues - if I have 30 mins I just try and tempo 4 miles, if I have 75 minutes I'll do an easy, hilly trail run - maybe 8 miles 1200ft.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Generally getting my fitness back to been able to cover a good half marathon but also do the job I do which is why I need the gym (weights/circuits).
    Sounds good!!

Cross trainer sessions are definitely a good thing for the leg strength. I've not done the session WP suggests but it makes sense to mix the treadmill in. I have done weight sessions but really these are a winter session and need careful thought as to what you do and when. I find my cross trainer sessions need to be at least a couple of days before I do a decent long and/or hilly run as its surprising how much a very hard session stays in the legs!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com