Thread: Garmin maps, worth it?

Garmin maps, worth it?

Or should I just use Talkytoaster or similar?

Garmin and/or OS seem a bit of a rip off tbh. Not sure why it costs what it does, and I've already paid for the paper versions. And arguably paid again through taxes(not actually that sure on their funding tbh)

Its to be used with a Garmin device, for both road and mountain bike navigation. Plus on foot in the mountains too. However in any mountain situation it'll be used in conjunction with map n compass which would provide OS level of detail.

Any thoughts?
    pies

I had a look on ebay and a bloke was setting the entire UK 50,000 for £45. I took a risk and went for it and it is spot on. Works really well on my eTrex 20. It was just an SD Card that arrived through the post that I slipped into the eTrex.

Seems to be the real thing, properly printed label on the card, but I suppose that could be forged!

could be forged!
    I'm 90% certain it will be. I'm sure I've seen something along the lines that it should be locked to the card, as in you can't copy it.

I've seen them for £30 elsewhere.
    pies

This is the alternative map I'm thinking of.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=5/...5.603&layers=C

On the bike at least, it's looks better option than a 1:50k as it largely includes most of the ROW's in my area, and is comprehensive in it's road coverage.

Most of the OS maps do not include the "Core Path" network that's been developing up here over the last few years.
    pies