Thread: Pain behind ridge of toes

Pain behind ridge of toes

Following the previous thread here's my second pain:

2. Pain in my left foot on the 'ridge' behind the toes, specifically the third and fourth toes. Again, it's often a dull persistent pain when standing or walking but can produce some very sharp shooting pains when running or even walking and is pretty painful if I stand on tip-toe (limiting the heel drop exercises on that foot). This is a problem that has come and gone for about six years, usually lasts a few weeks to a month or two, then goes away for several months. Occasionally has been bad enough to stop me running but not usually - unless I have to run on hard surfaces. Stopping running hasn't, in the past, seemed to help so I tend to keep going.

This sounds like the same tissue chain as your other problem. Personally i wouldn't run through this, the fact it keeps coming and going leads me to suggest you fly to england and see a physio. I wouldn't let something like this get a hold of you long term. It's a drastic suggestion, but you don't want anything going snap do you.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Hello.
    I've been dealing with something like this in both of my feet for about 18 months.
    After a lot of different tests etc I finally had an MRI scan and this showed up both a morton's neuroma and bursitis.
    I would try to get if sorted sooner rather than later. I got to the point were I has to stop running for well for 6 months due to the pain.
    I now have pads that I fix to my insoles and even a new custom made set of insoles that help me to manage the issue.
    I would suggest you go to a good podiatrist.
    Best of luck.

TRuck

Was this worse on lumpy stones tracks? Did it feel like spikes of pain down into toes and then a feeling that they were sort of numb but obviously not very numb because it hurt so much? Even when you stop still intensely painful for ages. I ask because I have suffered too, especially on longer races, hard track andif toe box of show is a bit narrower.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Was this worse on lumpy stones tracks? Did it feel like spikes of pain down into toes and then a feeling that they were sort of numb but obviously not very numb because it hurt so much? Even when you stop still intensely painful for ages. I ask because I have suffered too, especially on longer races, hard track andif toe box of show is a bit narrower.
    Hi Karen. Was this question for me?

Stoney/gravely tracks are the worst - thankfully there are very few of these here. Hurts more on harder surfaces (i.e. compacted mud or hard tussocks) but even sometimes on the sand. If it's anything but random, I'm more likely to get the shooting pains when the foot is more flexed at the toes or when that part of the foot hits something hard. The sharp pain subsides pretty quickly but the dull stuff can somtimes last a while but not often too long.

Truck,
    Your experiece doesn't sound encouraging! Unfortunately neither MRI scanners nor good (any) podiatrists are available here in Gabon. I have to manage it myself, which, admittedly, at the momet, means ignoring it as it isn't so bad. That may not be a good long term strategy though.