Thread: Long O

Long O

Hi all,

I'd like to do some longer races with a navigation component. Can anyone recommend where to find a list of these events? I know about MM's and mini-MMs but I'm after someting more like a long orienteering race.

Anyone help?

Matt

New Chew and Mercia Hill Trial this weekend; I'm at the former, though I think it is full.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Lake district mountain trial?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

clickable map of orienteering events here:
    http://www.oobrien.com/map/?p=TF1&d=on&c=All
    ....it's all downhill from here.

That's a great website.
    I'll be at the Nick o'Pendle PFO event on 28 Feb.
    See the light in the night

You can find events like the Mountain Trial, New Chew, Copeland Chase, Kinder Trial etc through the FRA website or calendar.

There are a few long-o events in the orienteering calendar, usually in early autumn to coincide with OMM training. Quantocks orienteers often put one on (4th & 5th Oct on Dartmoor last year), and Wrekin Orienteers have started doing one on the Long Mynd (13th Sep 2015). Pendle Forest Orienteers sometimes put on the Capricorn long-o in the summer.

For full-on orienteering you could try the Tim Watkins Trophy in March, longest course is 17km straight line distance. This is an event for experienced orienteers only. British Orienteering doesn't support filtering for long-o events in its events calendar so you can't search directly for long-o event on the BO website, although you can try searching the "event diary" page. Confusingly there is a category of orienteering that is called "long" but it's not long-o.
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

Cheers folks. LDMT looks good as does the the Copeland Chase. It's a shame there;s nothing in Northumberland! The Cheviots would lend themselves perfectly to this sort of thing!

Sadly there used to be The Pheonix in that area but the RO moved to Scotland

Yeah that's a shame. It seems that a Long O, Kinder trial event would be well suited in the rolling tussocks of the North East.It could do with an experienced club/runner/orienteer taking it up....

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Cheers folks. LDMT looks good as does the the Copeland Chase. It's a shame there;s nothing in Northumberland! The Cheviots would lend themselves perfectly to this sort of thing!
    After years of schedule clashes/injury/weather etc. I finally got round to doing my first LDMT last year. Would definitely recommend it. Well organised event and this years was certainly a challenge.
    The "short" course was 17.9km/1350m - my climb was about the same but I clocked nearer 25K.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast