Page 49 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombalds Stride

Left, definitely Superfly. Although there will be people going either side & Forumites who will disagree with me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Left, definitely Superfly. Although there will be people going either side & Forumites who will disagree with me !!
    Seconded, definitely left, even though the official footpath is on the right? I've taken both routes and the right is only better when the bogs and puddles have been deep frozen for a week. I remember during such conditions a few years ago standing on a transparent glass-like expanse and looking down at vegetation and bog a foot below my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm in this by the way, although my erstwhile running buddy for the day has chosen to do some etchings instead. That said Harry my collie is up for it and raring to go. Just a simple question? Is the route on-line anywhere... and I don't have a map.... and have never run in that neck of the woods (apart from a corner of Ilkley Moor). My plan is to just follow the rest I guess
    Stolly, there'll be plenty out so following the procession may just work. Hope for no fog and be sure to back a winner at the top of Rocky Valley, though. If you stick with me you'll be safe. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Is there a stile or gate where you cross back over by the wall junction next to the West Buckstones? So far I've only been along the right side and vaguely(sp?) recall seeing something in that corner.

Yes, I think there is a stile, with a bit of a steep descent just on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Yes, I think there is a stile, with a bit of a steep descent just on the other side.
    Cheers Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Stolly, there'll be plenty out so following the procession may just work. Hope for no fog and be sure to back a winner at the top of Rocky Valley, though. If you stick with me you'll be safe. :wink:
    Nick I just might try and stick with you - from your blog it looks like you are a Rombalds veteran of 12 years running

You're welcome to stick with me, Stolly, if you don't mind a 4:15 finish. I'll look out for a bloke with a pooch. I should have 20 to choose from.

I tried the left side of the wall after Whetstone Gate for the first time last recce (after about 20 times running on the right hand side) and definitely agree that left is better. I worried all the way to Buckstones that I would have to climb the wall, but sure enough as Nick says, there is a stile at just the right place.

The fun bit comes just after that, where you have to find the makeshift stepping 'stones' through the bog some of which are just old bits of wood/fence. I'm hoping the faster guys don't think of moving them to slow the rest of us down.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I'm totally fed up that I can't make this. I tried to get in last year and it was full and this year I got in but have double booked and have to do a workshop...oh well...I'll let the organisers know, I'm sure my place will be snapped up!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'