Page 50 of 109 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Re: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Left, definitely Superfly. Although there will be people going either side & Forumites who will disagree with me !!
    I've not tried the left hand side, as the instructions clearly state going down the RHS, but I know where the stile is, and if it's more runnable I might be tempted to go left.

Interesting that forumites who bemoaned the introduction of the paving slabs from the trig choose to avoid the bogs the other side of Keighley Road....
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Nick I just might try and stick with you - from your blog it looks like you are a Rombalds veteran of 12 years running
    Stolly, there should be people to follow more or less all the way up onto Ilkley moor, and provided there's no fog, should be able to see some people most of the way around the moor. I would try and find someone to follow from the end of Rocky Valley if you can for that small section, and definitely find someone to tag onto from Burley Woodhead down and through Menston - I'm told that lots of people miss the ginnal off Fairfax Rd every year and end up doing about half a mile extra because of it.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Stolly, there should be people to follow more or less all the way up onto Ilkley moor, and provided there's no fog, should be able to see some people most of the way around the moor. I would try and find someone to follow from the end of Rocky Valley if you can for that small section, and definitely find someone to tag onto from Burley Woodhead down and through Menston - I'm told that lots of people miss the ginnal off Fairfax Rd every year and end up doing about half a mile extra because of it.
    Menston and the ginnel is about the only bit I get right !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post
    Menston and the ginnel is about the only bit I get right !!!!
    You should have come to recce it with us the other week then, Dave!

John and I have got it sorted!

I usually hop on to the large Buck Stone next to the stile on training runs for a refuel & admire the view over to Beamsley Beacon & Simons Seat in the distance. Crawshaw Moss is always a fun filled bog fest. 2 years ago someone face planted in the deepest section. I shan't repeat the language that subsequently followed.

went up on sunday morning. Baildon to finish (although i missed out the Chevin :thunbdown
    aside from the wind being pretty wild and the odd lashing of rain or hail it was OK. a bit boggy getting up to Ilkley Moor but no worse than you'd expect. the flags make a massive difference going past Whetstone. found a couple of nice lines and discounted another. all in all a good morning out.
    not sure my legs are really ready after my summer hiatus, but i'll give it me best shot! fingers crossed for sub4
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    went up on sunday morning. Baildon to finish (although i missed out the Chevin :thunbdown
    aside from the wind being pretty wild and the odd lashing of rain or hail it was OK. a bit boggy getting up to Ilkley Moor but no worse than you'd expect. the flags make a massive difference going past Whetstone. found a couple of nice lines and discounted another. all in all a good morning out.
    not sure my legs are really ready after my summer hiatus, but i'll give it me best shot! fingers crossed for sub4
    Adam, I went out on Sunday morning too and did the whole thing starting from Guiseley.

Wind and sleet were shocking early on and I made very slow progress out to the far end of Ilkley Moor, but once I turned and had the wind behind me it got much less unpleasant. Think I have the Rocky Valley to Pancake Stone section nailed at last.

Looking forward to a fortnight's time, and I also expect another sub 4 if the weather is slightly better, so may see you out there.

Simon
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Think I have the Rocky Valley to Pancake Stone section nailed at last.
    Simon,

Which route did you take?

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    Simon,

Which route did you take?
    The one I now think of as the 'Fozzy' route. I have now realised that I don't have to climb across the stone conduit (I wouldn't have the nerve to leap it) as there are stepping stones just to the left where it finishes and discharges to the stream. I'm happy with that now.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    The one I now think of as the 'Fozzy' route. I have now realised that I don't have to climb across the stone conduit (I wouldn't have the nerve to leap it) as there are stepping stones just to the left where it finishes and discharges to the stream. I'm happy with that now.
    Ha! I think many others discovered before I did!

Yes, there are some stones you can hop across, but if the stream is flowing strongly, it can be a bit dicey!