Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    .......... Personally I'd have a self clip at Buckstones so the wall route becomes almost mandatory
    I'd agree with this. I don't know why they never have.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I also thought it was particularly muddy. Conditions were pretty mild weren't they? I can't say I had the best day out, I fell on the slabs over Ilkley Moor and came a proper cropper ..... actually, perhaps it's more accurate to say that I was mugged

Anyhow, on the subject of route: I agree that the expectation in events like this is that everyone follows the same route (more or less), we had a big debate about this after the Hebden a few weeks back, because some people definitely got an advantage that day by deviating from the prescribed route. It's all down to interpretation I suppose .... for instance, today I followed what I believe is viewed as the "correct" route from the top of Rocky Valley down to the conduit, but one gentleman - joining the main path after having taken the lower (slower) line, intimated that I was doing something that wasn't quite cricket. As far as I'm concerned it was HIM who had taken the wrong line, but like I say, it's all down to interpretation.
    I think the conduit is the accepted and best route as far as most people are concerned. I don't think there are really any advantages to be gained with route choice on Rombalds Stride to be honest. For example, I stuck to the edge path all the way to Burley Moor from the conduit and saw some people staying higher to my right, but they didn't gain any advantage. I tried to be clever on Baildon Moor but went too far right and had to do an out and back along the road to the checkpoint! Spoke to some faster runners after the race who tried the Cowpers Cross route and they said they lost time compared to others following the wall after Whetstonegate.

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Cheers. I'm certainly not going to be out in front! I'm probably only quibbling over 2 mins difference but it's all good beta for the route ahead! Having not done it before I'm not sure on a time prediction. I'll be happy finishing around when Multiterrainer does I guess...!
    Only just seen this! I'm hoping you finished well ahead of me today brummievet as I was taking it easy due to ongoing Achilles niggles and having had dreaded lurgy at the beginning of this week. That coupled with wrong shoe choice leading to a slip/fall or two (Adidas Kanadias have been fine in drier underfoot conditions but not today) meant a personal worst by over half hour finishing in 4:39. Despite everything it was a grand day out, oh and my first time doing the conduit crossing but gave Cowpers Cross a miss as having done that 2 years ago feel I lost about 3 mins on those around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Only just seen this! I'm hoping you finished well ahead of me today brummievet as I was taking it easy due to ongoing Achilles niggles and having had dreaded lurgy at the beginning of this week. That coupled with wrong shoe choice leading to a slip/fall or two (Adidas Kanadias have been fine in drier underfoot conditions but not today) meant a personal worst by over half hour finishing in 4:39. Despite everything it was a grand day out, oh and my first time doing the conduit crossing but gave Cowpers Cross a miss as having done that 2 years ago feel I lost about 3 mins on those around me.
    I really enjoyed it and was secretly hoping for a sub 4 hr and managed 3:48 so quite pleased. I wish I'd worn my mudclaws I must admit. There were a few occasions when I fell over and was swearing at my Salomons. It was a great event though. I've never eaten so many biscuits and cakes whilst running! Hope the slips didn't do too much damage.

Glad you enjoyed your first Stride brummievet that's a good time in those conditions.

Does anyone else's feet hurt today from running on the flagstones?

Well, not so much feet but I definitely hurt from running on the flagstones! You know how some of them were submerged? I ran onto what I thought was one, turns out it had completely sank and of course I went in deep, my shin caught the slab in front and I did a delightful rolling somersault up the path.

Am pissed-off because that shin had only just mended after a fall on Fleetwith Pike last year.

I think the walkers who set off early should be made to go up the road to checkpoint 2 rather than climbing up the 'racing line'. When I arrived yesterday there was a group of walkers who had set off early blocking the way and they seemed surprised when I climbed past them through the heather!

Super Moderator
    I'm never sure whether to laugh or cry when folk talk about PB's, gaining advantage, race lines, optimum routes etc for walkers' events. The challenge is you versus the route as I understood it
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    A quote from 2014:
    Still true. I followed Mr Sheppard on this route today and lost places and time again. I won't be bothering with the cowpers cross route again.

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Does anyone else's feet hurt today from running on the flagstones?
    My everything hurts

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I'm never sure whether to laugh or cry when folk talk about PB's, gaining advantage, race lines, optimum routes etc for walkers' events. The challenge is you versus the route as I understood it
    I can see your point but there are trophies to be won and certificates with your time! Add in that a lot of the runners know each other and it becomes quite competitve!