Page 99 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rombalds Stride

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post

Does anyone else's feet hurt today from running on the flagstones?
    Given me bemoaning my shoe choice I was actually relieved to get to the flagstones for once, soon got bored of them though!

I wore proper fell shoes and was thankful for the grip. I didn't falter once apart from a few minor uncertainties on the climb of the Chevin.

Having studied the alternative 'cross' route after Whetstone Gate on Tracklogs and Google Earth, I can't see the advantage. I tried it once a few years ago and abandoned the attempt, returning to the top. As usual this year I took the unofficial LHS along the wall. They stipulate the RHS but I know how bad that really is, unless it's hard frozen. A long time ago when I took that route I stood on frozen lakes and could see clearly into the abysses beneath my feet.

DT, many of us always push for PBs even as we age and they become more elusive. We compete with those around our speed. Do I take it from your negative comment that you've given up so have knock others who try? FYI I was 18 minutes outside PB on this route and I feel mildly content.

Photos. I managed to take a few, but fewer action shots than I would have liked on account of the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I'm never sure whether to laugh or cry when folk talk about PB's, gaining advantage, race lines, optimum routes etc for walkers' events. The challenge is you versus the route as I understood it
    Totally agree DT, although(based on wjb's points) I cannot see Rombalds going down the line of the likes of the Kilburn Kanter and only listing finishers in alphabetical order with times alongside.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I'm never sure whether to laugh or cry when folk talk about PB's, gaining advantage, race lines, optimum routes etc for walkers' events. The challenge is you versus the route as I understood it
    As a middle of the pack runner, it's always just me vs the route anyway. The thing is at this one they publish winners, finishing times and you get a certificate with your time on so it feels like a race really. I wouldn't mind not having all that though because it's great fun. The early starting walkers were all holding the gates open for runners which I thought was really good of them and they all said well done as I went past which I reciprocated. They were all good sports.

After the flagstones I went right and cut to the Cross before running on the good runnable trail to the Rocks. This is the way I was lead in 2012 the first year I did it. But, it seemed like I was 1-2 mins! behind the runners I had been with at the CP so its Definitely not a faster option. Hey ho!

Great day for it tho (y) provided in your shoe choice you'd accounted for that predictable mud with the overnight rain.
    When are the results usually out?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    When are the results usually out?
    It can take a couple of weeks or so.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

ta rob. noticed a big jump improvement in your time/placing, well done bud.

good to see the results were properly recorded (to the second)- unlike last year.

shame the start was a bit chaotic, caught some folks out. can't they borrow a school bell!

Big jump since last year, but I've run under 3hrs before and finished top 5. I usually arrive at Rombalds under trained so it's pot luck how it turns out

bear in mind it's only a walking challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyota_Crown View Post
    ta rob. noticed a big jump improvement in your time/placing, well done bud.

good to see the results were properly recorded (to the second)- unlike last year.

shame the start was a bit chaotic, caught some folks out. can't they borrow a school bell!