Thread: Paddy Buckley - Craig Wen

Paddy Buckley - Craig Wen

few Questions,

Which summit?

Just to clarify, is the summit the 608 cairn, or the 580 cairn? I think, and so does Ron Tunball that it's 608, so do most I speak to in Eryri, but I think some count the 580.

A bit academic as I go over both but nice to know for timing purposes.

The ascent from Pont caer Gors?

I was going to follow the track to the farm buildings, climb the fence and ascen on the RHS of the wall, climb that wall, continue directly up hill to a second wall, climb that and continue to the summit.

I'm now in agreement with others that this is quicker than going through Rhydd Ddu.

Descending from Yr Aran?

In daylight I descend from just after the summit, down steep scree and gullies, but as it's a night section I was going to follow the ridge, on the main path, to the wall, then follow the path alongside the wall to Bwlch cwm llan, is this how most approach the descent? I reckon this is a few minutes slower, but easier on the legs and easier to navigate.

Cheers

Iain

Re: Paddy Buckley - Craig Wen

yes to all three iain. was in llanberis last week. tues was stunning. did various bits of the PB with my six year old son. had a very wet and windy day on sat. Talking to the rangers at Pen Y Pass someone was supposed to be trying the PB on that day. I wouldn't have fancied it - up to 50mph wind and incessant blowing rain. I thought it was tiring enough going over Moel Elio to Snowdon and down PYG, then over miners to Idwal, before heading back over Y Garn and Elidir Fawr. Hope you get better!

FMA

Cheers, on Tuesday we went along Grib Goch, stunning.

But its been like that for a while, 12 hrs of good weather, followed by rain and wind. It's actually been quite warm though.

It's still looking unsettled towards the end of the week so could be anything yet.

Good Luck on Friday
    Would have offered to help but iv`e prior arrangements

Cheers, got 2 for each leg now so looking good support wise.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    few Questions,

Which summit?

Just to clarify, is the summit the 608 cairn, or the 580 cairn? I think, and so does Ron Tunball that it's 608, so do most I speak to in Eryri, but I think some count the 580.

I was going to follow the track to the farm buildings, climb the fence and ascen on the RHS of the wall, climb that wall, continue directly up hill to a second wall, climb that and continue to the summit.

I'm now in agreement with others that this is quicker than going through Rhydd Ddu.

Descending from Yr Aran?

In daylight I descend from just after the summit, down steep scree and gullies, but as it's a night section I was going to follow the ridge, on the main path, to the wall, then follow the path alongside the wall to Bwlch cwm llan, is this how most approach the descent? I reckon this is a few minutes slower, but easier on the legs and easier to navigate.

Cheers

Iain
    Craig Wen: Paddy Buckley must have the last word here. He means the point by the fence junction, height 587 not 580. I had for some years thought it should be the small cairn at spot height 608 and that is the one I had timed on a few occasions. Paddy has since put me right and next Friday the two Alans from Bowland are doing as Paddy says: the small rocky outcrop at the fence junction.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    few Questions,

Which summit?

Descending from Yr Aran?

Cheers

Iain
    During the planning of the Welsh Classical Round in 1979 the map we used was the OS one inch which was in Imperial units. There was then only one spot height on Craig Wen at 1984 feet. Chris Brasher referred to it as Pic Orwell. The name Craig Wen apparently applied to the whole ridge. The later OS 1:25,000 (Imperial) shifted the name to the SW end of the ridge and gave it a spot height of 1925 feet, leaving the 1984 top un-named. When the OS 1:25,000 was metricated the spot heights became 587 m and 608 m, the latter being the 'correct' top for recording times on the Round, even though it can no longer be the Craig Wen (White Crag) seen from Hafod y Porth. The purist contender will bag both tops as they are on the natural line between Pont Cae'r Gors and Yr Aran. Those misguided enough to travel via Rhyd Ddu may have to settle for just one.

Paddy Buckley

S'truth, you can't get much more definitive that that!

Might have to go and have a wee look myself...