Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrowdale shortened...???

Re: Borrowdale shortened...???

I'm was happy to run the shortened course and would've been happy to run the full version, despite the weather.

The irony is, as someone who often runs solo, that had I chosen to run up Scafell Pike on Saturday on my own I've would been at far, far greater risk of getting hurt with of course little or no help to hand. An organised event comes with a huge amount of volountary support as well as support from fellow runners.

I appreciate that a strong wind and rain up there would have definitely led to some injuries and maybe a mountain rescue call out and, in cancelling this corner of the route, that was avoided. But in a way, the terrain and weather is alot of the thrill of fell running.

Mind you, its no big deal; it was still a very enjoyable run out.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    When our tent was trying to take off in the night and the rain was coming sideways I though there would be no chance the race would even be on in the morning so I was pleased it was only shortened.

I know of a few people who just packed up in the morning and went home the weather had been so bad.

The conditions during the race were ok but the decision would have had to have been made based on the overnight conditions continuing I'd guess.

paul appreciate your post
    this is were experience comes in i think
    some people on the chapel campsite did indeed go home , they perhaps thought yeah no way will that race go ahead
    i said to emmilou on the morning before heading to registration ( and she will verify this im sure ) that the race would be cut short , and emmi said do you reckon, i said well id be surprised if it wasnt , emmi and myself were very concerned about the wind at chapel house never mind on the tops.
    so we was expecting it before the decision came, id be surprised if lots of others wasnt thinking the same as well

I can understand people moaning a bit, I would have been dissapointed myself, I may not have had a chunner but I wouldn't have been best pleased, but most would have realised after a while that he was right it's pretty understandable - like Billy B at the Ben race.

It was a champs race ( I think?) and people travelled, and yes it was a 'mountain' race so conditions should be expected, people would have really wanted to do the full round so a few dissenting voices are understandable.

It doesnt mean scoffer was wrong or should feel any pressure about making the call, but he'd have expected a bit of moaning, having met a few of the Borrowdale blokes I bet they were as dissapointed as any one else.

Once the MRT made that call, and even made the point of seeking him out, I really think he had no choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    The irony is, as someone who often runs solo, that had I chosen to run up Scafell Pike on Saturday on my own I've would been at far, far greater risk of getting hurt with of course little or no help to hand.
    I don't think you would be. racing in tricky conditions is far different to going out for a plod and taking your time in tricky conditions. It's safe for me to go for a run over Grib Goch, but I've never dream of racing across there as it just wouldn't be safe.

I think in a race you take far more risks with navigation and feet placing knowing you are in a slightly more safe environment having other runners around you and marshalls near by.

Also in a social run I take far more gear and food, while in a race you do wear less and cut your kit as much as possible. i'd say most people are far more risk averse in social running than racing.
    Last edited by IainR; 07-08-2007 at 05:04 PM.

alwaysinjured

Agree.

Scoffer took the only decision he could in the light of mountain rescues comments, and fell runners should all support any race organiser faced with a tough decision.

Begs a question though.

I have little doubt that a debate is going on in mountain rescue:

The problem is if they start to issue judgement calls, then the day that they fail to issue a warning and someone gets hurt, one of these parasite leech injury lawyers will go after mountain rescue for negligence in failing to warn about the conditions that led to the accident. MR would be safer to have a policy of no public comment.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 07-08-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    one of these parasite leech injury lawyers will go after mountain rescue for negligence in failing to warn about the conditions that led to the accident.
    Spot on AI.

Agree.

Scoffer took the only decision he could in the light of mountain rescues comments, and fell runners should all support any race organiser faced with a tough decision.

Begs a question though.

I have little doubt that a debate is going on in mountain rescue:

The problem is if they start to issue a judgement calls, then the day that they fail to issue a warning and someone gets hurt, one of these parasite leech injury lawyers will go after mountain rescue for negligence in failing to warn about the conditions that led to the accident. MR would be safer to have a policy of no public comment.

...or, as a lawyer would say, "advice that costs nothing is worth exactly that"

alwaysinjured

On the amusing side tho

Yorkshire thug backed two losers this weekend!

First that scoffer would be the first committee member home ( he wasnt)

Second that scoffer would say "b*gger off" to anyone who suggested shortening the course. (he didnt!!!)

Second that scoffer would say "b*gger off" to anyone who suggested shortening the course.
    The Scoffer I know would NEVER say anything like that - he's far too much of a gentleman.

I think my view would've been "My Game..... My Rules - yer don't like 'em, yer can bu**er off!"

I'm sure organising one of the biggest and best races in the fell calender is difficult enough WITHOUT having to worry about whether or not you're going to upset anyone by making a safety call.

I do however agree previous posters that the MRT are perhaps treading the wrong side of a fine line.

fb