Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing Flats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Racing Flats

I know this one has been done before but.....

I'm after some new 'traditional' racing flats, none of this barefoot nonsense but some lovely lightweight road shoes for speed work & the odd tiny bit of racing....maybe!

Criteria are lightweight, fairly cheap (£60 or less ideally), not 'zero drop', a small amount of cushioning.

Have had Brooks T6's before which I loved, but the new T7's look terrible, I think they might scare the dog! Also had Adidas Ace which are the worst shoes I've ever worn and have (perhaps unfairly) put me off other Adidas, along with the high prices.

Does anyone have any experience of the Inov-8 Road X-treme 198 and/or the Mizuno Wave Hitogami?

Failing that, does anyone have recommendations based on personal experience?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Saucony fastwitch for me if I need to go over to the dark side. 4mm drop and light as a feather.
    Last edited by PeteS; 11-03-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Typo
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Musha which I think are the predecessor of the Hitogami. I like them, although they are the only true flat I've used so can't really compare them with anything else!

Brooks T7 for me, irrespective of looks they are the best road shoes I've ever owned and what I wear for all my speed sessions.

^^ this. T7 all the way. or inov8 road-x 233, if you can find any.

SportShoes
    SAU2257 Saucony Virrata 2 Running Shoes £39.99

The Saucony Virrata 2 Running Shoe utilise a 0mm heel to toe offset with 18mm of EVA in the forefoot and heel.

Zerodrop but with cushioning. First run in them last night 1/2 marathon on an old railway line, excellent.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 11-03-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    SportShoes
    SAU2257 Saucony Virrata 2 Running Shoes £39.99

The Saucony Virrata 2 Running Shoe utilise a 0mm heel to toe offset with 18mm of EVA in the forefoot and heel.

Zerodrop but with cushioning. First run in them last night 1/2 marathon on an old railway line, excellent.
    Had a couple of runs in these now, they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Had a couple of runs in these now, they are great!
    I've got the virrata 2, too, and what a bargain at £40. light but with cushioning, I really like them.

I've just got some Inov8 Road X Lite 155 which are great! 3mm drop, cushioning and very light. Got them for £50 on sportsshoes.

I've always rated the Asics Hyperspeed - on version 6 now I think. They grip is surprisingly good on hard packed trails in the summer, dare I say it they would be good for races such as Snowdon or Skiddaw if it was bone dry.