Thread: Visiting in September

Visiting in September

My wife and I will be competing at the World Mountain Running Trophy in Switzerland in September (Team Canada). We have a few days (Sept 18th-22nd) to do a running tour in England's Lake District...

Any suggested routes?

Our plan is to carry the essentials and hostel-hop for four nights. We love the idea of possibly racing in our first fell race, as well as seeing a range of communities and landscapes- "Wheuf!"

Any suggested routes (we wouldn't want to run more than 25km a day)

Thanks so much!
    Simon

-Book suggestions would be wonderful too

Re: Visiting in September

Welcome to the forum and UK fell running!

Looking at the calendar, here's the only race during the time of your visit to the Lakes... does happen to be a classic though, so you'd get a good idea of the racing scene here.

SAT.SEP 22. SCAFELL PIKE FELL RACE (R). AS. 1.00 p.m. 4.5m/3000' from Wasdale Head Campsite, Cumbria, (GR 183075). £5 to organiser by 8th.September - cheques payable to "CFRA". Teams mens, ladies or mixed free. LK/PM/NS. Over 18. Records: 51.12 B.Bardsley 1999; f. 63.24 N.Davies 1999. Limit of 250 runners. Please car-share if at all possible as parking is strictly limited to the National Trust carpark. Further information from the website. Details: Richard Eastman, 2 Maud Syke, Station Road, Drigg, Holmrook, Cumbria, CA19 1XQ. Tel: 019467 24263 or 07736 045847. Email: [email protected] Website: cfra.co.uk

As for routes, any variation on the "bob graham round" would give you a decent outing for a few days and take in some of the best hills. Just search for it in google and you'll find a lot of info on the route.

This is a good book for ideas...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Mou...6560177&sr=1-1
    but it looks as though it might be out of print or hard to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by simond View Post
    We have a few days (Sept 18th-22nd) to do a running tour in England's Lake District...

Any suggested routes?
    Hi Simon,

I am planning a couple of days in the Lakes - Friday 21st and Sat 22nd September - doing bits of the Bob Graham Round - longish days but at a fairly easy pace. I'll be based around Gt. Langdale area. Drop me a PM and I'll give you more details if you want to meet up.

MH

Catch 22, Joseph Heller. It's a cracker.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Sorry no. Keep telling myself I mustcut out the facetious posts. I found this in a bargain bin in Ambleside, don't know if you'd be able to get it on Amazon : Long Days in Lakeland by Ronald Turnbull ISBN 0-9515996-7-4. It's a good read as well as giving lots of ideas for routes - should whet your appetite. Actually while I'm on a roll, here's a bit of it I've meant to post up for a while but didn't get round to:

"See him come, the fellrunner. H e wears a ragged vest in the pink and purple of Penge Athletic. No amount of mud can cover the nylon brightness of his discordant green shorts. On his knees he wears an elastic support bandage. Mingled sweat of his brow and snot of his nose trickle down his contorted visage and from time to time he spits, disgustingly. One of the words that does not spring to mind is 'godlike'. Yet godlike is how it feels. To run unencumbered along this grassy ridge; to cope with the tussocks and know your compass is the master of the mist, and not worry about getting your feet wet because they already are, and feel the wind in your hair and the rain on your face - it's an odd form of fun, certainly. Odd, but also godlike.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.