Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rugged Mobiles

Emergency contact type of phone or all singing all dancing smartphone?

For the former, a £10 Samsung from Argos in a plastic bag with a pay as you go sim.

For the latter, I've got a Sony Xperia Z3 compact. It's not compact, it's bigger than an iPhone. But it has ridiculous battery life (can log a 24 hour event using Strava), has a good camera and is fully waterproof.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by thedatastream View Post
    Emergency contact type of phone or all singing all dancing smartphone?

For the former, a £10 Samsung from Argos in a plastic bag with a pay as you go sim.

For the latter, I've got a Sony Xperia Z3 compact. It's not compact, it's bigger than an iPhone. But it has ridiculous battery life (can log a 24 hour event using Strava), has a good camera and is fully waterproof.
    I've been very pleased with my Z3 compact. The camera is expecially good and the battery life amazing for a smart phone. I don't find the size too bad (125x61mm) - bigger than an iphone 5 but smaller than the 6. Fits nicely in the bumbag and being waterproof, don't need to worry when out in all weathers.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I've been very pleased with my Z3 compact. The camera is expecially good and the battery life amazing for a smart phone. I don't find the size too bad (125x61mm) - bigger than an iphone 5 but smaller than the 6. Fits nicely in the bumbag and being waterproof, don't need to worry when out in all weathers.
    Don't drop it hard face-down in a puddle though. I've bought a little case for my replacement one now.

My old P-A-Y-G, billy-bog basic Nokia was a terminal case after doing hill reps in a thunder storm, with the phone in my cag pocket.
    It's very similar replacement (£15 from the local Vodaphone shop) was purchased along with a "slightly padded, leatherette wallet" to keep it in, plus a small roll top dry bag from the local Ultimate Outdoors shop. The dry bag also has room for a small wallet containing a front door key, one credit card plus a couple of £10 notes - great for days out on the bike.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Don't drop it hard face-down in a puddle though. I've bought a little case for my replacement one now.
    I've got a plastic shell for it and them a soft case as well. Not bullet proof, but hopefully good enough for minor accidents.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

if you stick with your original phone Andy, Otterbox make good rugged cases