Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which GPS watch

Which GPS watch

I turn 50 this weekend and Mrs WP has said I should pick myself a GPS watch, as I keep setting off with my slab of a phone.
    She thinks I look odd running round crosss country with a bumbag - and she's right

I can't make my mind up what to get, so I thought why not ask for a little guidance.

1. I'm partial to a deal
    2. I want something that uploads to Strava easily.
    3. I want decent battery life.
    4. I might wear it as a regular watch - I've had a Suunto Core Red for 5-6 years and although not a GPS it is fine as an everyday watch and batteries last 3-6 month subject to usage.
    5. I'm not fussed about things like HRM, training zones etc. I just want something that records and uploads my runs effectively.
    6. Ideally between £100 and £200 but open minded.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Garmin 620 is over your price bracket but otherwise excellent. it uploads to Garmin connect via cable to computer or via Bluetooth to your phone, and then automatically syncs from Garmin to Strava - very easy. Also, good battery life - still had plenty left after over 5 hours at Haworth Hobble.

but you may get something simpler that meets your criteria including price bracket.

Sure the Garmin FR220 would do all you need. Without the HR strap then £160 on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forer...s=garmin+fr220

Cheapest place to buy Garmin watches is usually handtec (e.g. forerunner 220 for £124)
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsear...0&q=forerunner

I use the forerunner 210 and that's spot on. Battery lasts a few hours at least while running, easy to upload to Strava or any other platform. Had it just short of 12 months and no problem at all
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Steen View Post
    Cheapest place to buy Garmin watches is usually handtec (e.g. forerunner 220 for £124)
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/catalogsear...0&q=forerunner
    Seen Handtec - they seem cheapest, but they quote prices ex VAT which is very odd for a retailer, so it's £148 which is inline with a few other online retailers.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    The Garmins are good - most of the time - as running watches - I am on my third - but the wrist band is too fragile to use as an everyday watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Seen Handtec - they seem cheapest, but they quote prices ex VAT which is very odd for a retailer, so it's £148 which is inline with a few other online retailers.
    For the Google shopping results?
    pies

Plenty of deals on Suunto Ambit 2's about fantastic watch. Garmins are wank

Gone for the Garmin FR220 on Handtec £152 all in without HRM.

I almost went for the Ambit 2R which is similar price point but I think it lacks a little technology and we'll probably see Suunto improve it shortly by adding bluetooth at least.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell