Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mourne Skyline MTR

Conor
    Fell shoes are a must for this one, the vast majority of the runners last year wore them. 90% is on open mountain so any gain by using non fell shoes for the paths would be negated by the rough stuff when you are climbing Bearnagh and Donard on the way home and even the Meels on the way out.

Good going on the double on Carrauntoohil yesterday
    Bernie Rhodes "Knows Don't Argue"

Conor
    Fell shoes are a must for this one, the vast majority of the runners last year wore them. 90% is on open mountain so any gain by using non fell shoes for the paths would be negated by the rough stuff when you are climbing Bearnagh and Donard on the way home and even the Meels on the way out.

Good going on the double on Carrauntoohil yesterday

Thanks for that. Better break in Walshs that have been gathering dust, usually just fire on Kanadias even for open mountains but was thinking that Mournes might be wet and slippy in October.

Got Mudclaws in the end. So feet are looked after anyway! Don't seem to have received the email about the mandatory kit, presuming waterproof jacket, gloves, hat.

Conor
    Their FB page said it should be arriving over this weekend.
    As it is a long race full body cover will be required. A kit check will be carried out
    Had a recce over the Granite Trail Race route on Thursday night - great weather on a warm night with spectacular views

Thanks yet again.

Will be borrowing a couple of items, we don't really do waterproofs leggings here in the SW...weather much warmer than up there in the harsh NE!

Oh wow wow wow.

That was brutal and wonderful. Have never seen a race so well planned and executed, with so many volunteers, marked so clearly over all 35km and 3,400m of it, showers, food, tv cameras, a huge spread at the halfway turn...Commedagh Chaser and his colleagues deserve huge credit for their effort. And nice to meet you out there CC!

As for the race itself, what a test. Thought the ascent would be tough, the descents proved tougher with a lot of tumbles. But exhilarating stuff. Was thinking after the race that's that done, I can't go through that again. And of course today I'm wondering where I could shave a few minutes off here and there, how I must work on my back and core more to stop the spine complaining so much, what food I'll bring next year etc. etc.

Conor
    It was great to meet you as well even though it was for a few fleeting seconds as you passed me both times. The conditions underfoot were testing to say the least on Meelmore and even more so on Meelbeg going by the accounts of the runners I was taking too. Gear choices were very important yesterday, the rain on Friday and early Saturday added complexity to the race. For your first race up here you did it in style. What part did you find the most difficult? Most would say the second ascent up Bearnagh would be the toughest but others would say the ascent up Donard as you are knackered by this stage.
    I am glad that you enjoyed the event. Keep it touch. Hoping to do Carrauntoohil next year as part of the IC

Quote Originally Posted by Commedagh Chaser View Post
    Conor
    It was great to meet you as well even though it was for a few fleeting seconds as you passed me both times. The conditions underfoot were testing to say the least on Meelmore and even more so on Meelbeg going by the accounts of the runners I was taking too. Gear choices were very important yesterday, the rain on Friday and early Saturday added complexity to the race. For your first race up here you did it in style. What part did you find the most difficult? Most would say the second ascent up Bearnagh would be the toughest but others would say the ascent up Donard as you are knackered by this stage.
    I am glad that you enjoyed the event. Keep it touch. Hoping to do Carrauntoohil next year as part of the IC

The first half, up as far as the dam, was grand, though took the descent just after meeting you a lot more carefully than I usually would...and that set the cautious tone for the rest of the day. But after the dam things started to go wrong straight away, back started complaining which was unusual for me, but I'd be much more comfortable with 2 hour up and down outings. And it just became a battle, it just seemed to be a procession of open mountains whereas a lot of the first half had been on trail. I didn't mind Bearnagh so much as had walked it before and knew it was tough but doable. Easily the worst bit for me was thinking I was on Donard itself only for some other runner to tell me I was on Commedagh and there was one more ascent...and then reaching the top and seeing the hulk of Donard in front of me...with the descent off Commedagh between me and there. But the general reaction was that it was a genuinely tough challenge, was talking to Paul Tierney afterwards who won the Lakelands 100 this year and has probably been the best IMRA runner in recent years so has a lot more experience than me to draw on, and he said it was a serious test. Thought I had done badly but when I got down and got the results I felt a lot better, it was obviously hell for everyone!

It was nice to meet and for you to keep an eye out for me, as I'm sure you know a friendly voice on any long run is a great way to take the mind off the thoughts about that dodgy knee, that back, the lost gloves and the fingers getting numb etc. etc. Let me know if you're down in the SW any time, thought we had all the hardest tests on the island down here in Kerry as we have no shortage of mountains...but think Down pushes the bar much higher in terms of organised long outings that fully use the landscape with the Skyline, the 7 Sevens etc.

Everyone was fulsome in their praise about the event and the kudos must go to the Maxwell brothers Ryan and Justin for getting all of the aspects needed to run a successful event in place. They do a lot for running in Northern Ireland most notably through their website NIRunning.co.uk which has been the go to site to get results and preview information. The two events the MTR and GTR went well and well done to the 4 winners Ian Bailey MTR Seamus Lynch GTR Diane Wilson MTR and Sarah McCormack GTR and to all those who competed in the two events
    I have included a few links where there are some photos and reports of the event
    http://iancorless.org/2015/10/24/gar...-first-images/
    https://www.facebook.com/MourneSkyli...ref=ts&fref=ts
    http://www.nirunning.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/NorthernIrelandRunning?fref=ts